Audio delay on voice page

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by engin411, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engin411

engin411 New Member

We have 3CX version 11 and extension 80 is a Cyberdata paging gateway. When we page, there is an audio delay of about 1/2 second, which makes it difficult to page because what you hear is different than what you're saying!
    What are some settings I can check to try to fix this audio issue? "PBX delivers audio" is on in the extension settings.
    Thanks.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

VoIP will have an inherent delay of some length due to the coding/decoding involved (check which Codecs, in your case. are involved through the entire chain, the more compression, the more delay is possible) . Some settings might reduce it but I don't think you will eliminate it completely.

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

In addition to what Leejor indicated (to always expect some delay), there is likely nothing that 3CX can do as the page is largely one-way in nature. It is much more likely that the latency is due to the paging device and its internal workings of not only the D/A conversions, but what else it must do with respect to any zoning or other "setup" that may need to be orchestrated within the device.

A 500 millisecond delay does seem rather long for what I perceive as a local LAN call and if the phones on the LAN do not experience a similar delay and assuming that the Cyberdata device is also not much more than a SIP endpoint device, then I would not expect the delay to be any different than a call to any other extension. The only reasons the calls might be different must be due to what the Cyberdata device has to go through in order to "set" the page, a less robust data handling mechanism/methodology or a combination of both.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you placed a test call to another internal extension, and you had both the calling and called extensions so that you could have a handset on each ear, you could check your network latency (as long as the paging unit runs through the same switch/network equipment). If there is no, or very little delay, then the issue is with the paging unit (settings?) and not the network.

5. engin411

engin411 New Member

The vendor is going to give us a different paging device. Thanks for the suggestions for troubleshooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.