Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Audio Hijack ????? Help

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by d.barnbrook, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.barnbrook

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a strange on here, aswell as having a few audio issues which we are trying to iron out with reghards to line speed/bandwidth and audio codecs etc, all of which pretty much goes over my head as I am merley an end user of the 3CX product, we have having some really strange issues.

For example, we get a few calls each week that come from a ligitamet source, client / customer etc but at the very start of the call it appears that the audio/call has been hijacked by some pre recorded win a holiday nonsense, we turned of call recording to try and capture this which we have no done today. I just wondering if this could be anything to do with 3CX or is it something pointing more towards our SIP provider " Telappliant " ????

Its really worrying that this is happening as Ive heard storys of people hacking into voip systems etc and causing huge phone bills etc.

Any help would be appreciated, audio clip has not been added as its too large but I could email it or something if anyone would like to listen to it.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I think that we can safely say that it is not coming from 3CX.

You need to establish some sort of pattern. Ist it happening on calls at random, calls from certain callers. What is the "message"? that may give a clue as to who is generating it. You may even be able to use the message information to do a search, on the net, and discover who else is getting the same thing. It can't just be you. Perhaps it will lead you to the source.

Maybe it's one of those "free" long distance services that force you to listen to an Ad in return for a free call?

3. d.barnbrook

Iyts a pre recorded "would you like to win a holiday" message, i was pretty sure it wasnt 3cx, and the calls are at random but they seem to intercept genuine calls which is what worried me, I will get our receptionist to log all of the details and try to get a number from the caller next time.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've received a number of the automated calls (over a range of incoming numbers) from time to time, win a trip, a holiday, etc. If that is what you are getting, and it's not something "over top of" a regular incoming call, then, other than putting your number on a "do not call" list (and that doesn't seem to do much, I'm afraid) then there isn't a lot you can do. The calls seem to come from various area codes, and never seem to be the same number twice, which make it hard to block.

5. d.barnbrook

I think you maybe right on that one, I was just a little concerned as we have not had these types of calls before and it just seemed a coincidence that they started to happen after the install of 3CX, i will keep my eye on it and try to keep them on the phone next time we get one to find out where they are from and hopefully validate the call to be one of these marketing ploys.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

6. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

It may be helpful ... but I have been building the contents of the Number Blacklist (in the Settings module), in our 3CX. When I get a call like you describe, I put it into the number blacklist which stops that caller getting thru next time ...
    Of limited use I know, as these companies often change their outgoing Caller ID ... But - what more can you do?

best regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

It sounds like it might be "Early Media" playing the message to you while the actual call is still in the connecting mode.

If you go to "Settings" "Advanced" "Custom Parameters" and change "Early Media" from "1" to "0" it might stop the messages while the legitimate call is connecting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.