• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Authentication failed...beginner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alarti

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a complete newby at this so please be patient if my questions are too basic.
I have setup FreePBX with AsteriskNow and someone recommended that I use 3CX as my softphone.

I have installed 3CX in my computer and setup the account information. At this time I am getting an "Authentication Failed" message, followed by a "Not Connected" one in the display. My guess is that this is due to incorrect credentials. I have tried several different configurations without success. One of the items is a password but as far as I can remember I haven't set one up in FreePBX (or see where to do so in the extensions section). Can someone please shed some light into what the issue might be here? What am I doing incorrectly? If you need more details I'll be happy to provide them.

Thank you in advance,

Andres

I don't think I've come across an extension set-up that didn't require a password. It might be the same as the extension number.
In the 3CX phone, click on the round button, bottom centre. Then click on Debug, bottom left. This will bring up a window that show pretty much the dialogue going on with the server and may help you figure out what settings to change.

To set up the 3cx phone for windows, you need:
Extension number
ID
Password
*This information can be found on the 3CX Management Console, select the extension, and this information is in the "Authentication" section on the general tab*
IP address of server - if external, must provide tunnel information

With that information, you can set up your 3CX Soft Phone

leejor, thank you for your feedback.
I launched the debug window and I see some errors (due to lack of connected mic mostly). Then I see an error that reads:
Not connected: Authentication failed
Phone has been disconnected - error: 403
Phone is no longer connected

jgruss, thanks to you as well.
Again forgive the ultra-basic question but which is the 3CX Management Console. I am going into Accounts and editing the Account Settings there. The server is internal and I do believe that it is reaching the server. As a matter of fact if I change the IP Address to a bogus one I get a 'Failed to initialize SIP engine' message. When set back to the correct address I get the Authentication failed message again. This is probably something very simple but I can't figure it out.
I can't seem to find a location for the password on the FreePBX extension interface.

Thank you in advance for any additional help or ideas.

Regards,

Andres

Ok, I seem to have resolved the issue.

Extension and ID where the same, and the password, which was in a different section of the extension setup in FreePBX, is called "secret" instead of password.

Hope this helps someone else.

I'll keep in touch if I run into other issues.

alarti said:
Again forgive the ultra-basic question but which is the 3CX Management Console.

This would only apply if you were trying to register as an extension to the 3CX PBX, so, not applicable in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YBow
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.