• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Auto Attendant and VoiceMail only

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVH

Reaction score
Hi all,
We currently have an NEC electra pbx that we will eventually convert to a voip phone sytem. We are stringing a seperated backbone just for the voip phones so as not to interfere with data.
My issue is that I would like to take 4 NEC IS ports and use them as an Auto Attendant and Voice mail system (2 AA, 1 VM, and 1 direct VM).
I think I can do this with the 3CX free edition and upgrade to the full version when we are ready for the switch.
I believe I will need an Adapter (1 ethernet + 4 FXS ports)
Any recommendation on the adapter?
Has anyone done something like this?

Thanks
John

I thnk that you want a device with four FXO ports. You want to connect them to line equipment on your existing PBX and have the PBX direct calls to the 3CX trunks. These can later be attached to any POTS trunks that you want going into the 3CX, once you have cut over completely.

It sound like you will just be using the 3CX to store messages directed by the auto attendant to various mail boxes of non-registered extensions. One of the problems will be voicemail notification, the only way you can do that without a telephone set attached is with email. If that will do then it should work

Hi,
Thanks for the fast reply.
Actually the NEC system has 3 kinds of ports.
CO (FXO POTS) connected to the incoming lines.
DI (Digital phone ports, proprietary)
IS (Industry Standard FXS) can be used with regular phones.
I want to set up 4 of the IS ports to ring on incoming calls and do the AA thing.
Options will be blind transfer to departments or go to VM menu.
VMs would be sent as email attachments or dropped as files on their desktops.

I have a 4 port CAHTA TELCTAUSB4, but it was made to work with NCH IVM and I don't know if I can get it to work with 3CX as it is USB Tapi based.

I think something like the Linksys - Sipura SPA-2002 Analog Adapter might work but would prefer something with 4 ports.

Ideas?

If you are going to connect the lines (IS ports), that normally go to a standard phone, then you want an FXO adapter to connect to the 3CX. These would be set up as trunks in the 3CX. The Grandstream GXW4104 is the sort of device you'd be looking at, although it is one of a number that will do the job, and I'm certainly not recommending that particular one, just using it as an example of what to look for.

Foreign Xchange Office adapter ports connect to line equipment, the type supplying voltage, that a phone would normally plug into.

Foreign Xchange Subscriber adapter ports are what you would plug a telephone into, it supplies 24 or 48 volts, ringing etc to a phone. The terms are from a time when these types of cards were used in the T1 carrier world to get a phone line from one central office to another.

If you want people to be able to dial the extension to which their voicemail is attached, then you would go out of your existing PBX on an FXO (a trunk) and go into the 3CX on an FXS. You would have to build a new outgoing trunk group on the existing PBX.

After thinking about it, I think you are correct. Since I want the system to act like telephones and answer ringing calls that would be the FXO port type that would connect to a regular phone line.
I have a device a CAHTA TELCTAUSB4 that is made to work with NCH IVM software.

Professional USB Telephony Device TELCTAUSB2, TELCTAUSB4
These USB devices are suitable for call recording applications. They are ideal for use with the VRS Call Recording System to record analog telephone lines on a server.
There are options for 2 or 4 lines per device. Multiple devices can be installed in the same PC (subject to USB port availability).
Features:
2 or 4 high impedance analog telephone ports
Ability to configure multiple devices in a single PC
Caller ID detection, supports FSK as well as DTMF
Support LC Drop/Polarity Reversal detection for automated recording start and stop
Professional quality card for business applications.
Easy to install with plug-and-play operation.
Certified for use in USA, Europe, Australia and others.
System Requirements
Windows 2000, XP or 2003
Call recording software Download Software Here
Free USB port.
Analog telephone ports. (RJ-14 jacks).
Telephone Interface
Recording impedance: 100kohm
Connectors: RJ-14 jacks
Caller ID and Caller Name: International support (FSK and DTMF)
Note: Caller Name support is not included in the current driver but Synway plan to implement in the next driver version.
Sample rate: 8KHz
DTMF digits logged: 0 to 9, *, #, A, B, C & D 40ms min.

Unfortunately I am unable to get the 3CX software to recognize this device.

Nope, it doesn't sound like that device is meant to be used with VoIP at all. just sounds like it convert analogue to digital via the USB ports to record calls. You will need a SIP based Ethernet device to work with 3CX.

The TELCTAUSB2, TELCTAUSB4 adapter has it own drivers (capi?)to mate to the NCH system. If the driver didn't come with your adapter then it is installed when the NCH software is loaded.

Bottom line, use the 3CX recommended/listed FXO gateway or for the hobbyist or person with extra free time :shock: get the driver from a working NCH (free trial) system and load it onto the 3CX system then stand back cross your fingers and good luck.

I've set up extensions to receive voicemail directed to them by call attendant be but they don't get there because the extensions aren't registered. What am I not understanding?

I think you need to..

A. Start your own post, not revive (hijack) one from 2009.
B. Provide more information

Thought this was the Topic, and thought it was bad etiquette to start a new topic for myself

Unless you have some additional help, for the original poster, it is always best to start your own post.

A post that has not had any additional comments, since 2009, can safely be considered, concluded, and there simply for reference.

The issue you are experiencing may be completely different from the original poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.