Auto Attendant Ringing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by CJSDJS, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJSDJS

Hello All,

First let me say that this has been a great forum in helping me set up my system. I have now registered to hopefully be able to help someone else. Thx.

Now, my problem is that when I call my system, there is no ringing at all and it goes to the auto attendant. I was wondering if there was a setting that would allow a number of rings before the attendant would answer? The reason I ask is my clients get confused when there is dead air before the attendant starts.

thanks in advance for any help

Chris Barlow
    Owner, CJ'S DJ'S
    London, Ontario, Canada

2. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

hello CJSDJS

i don't know if i have understand. it's for a group call, or Call Queueing ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CJSDJS

Hi,

No, it's for a single call. Like when you call any number, you hear the phone ring a couple of times before the attendant picks up. But, when you call mine, there is no ringing at all, and it goes directly to the auto attendant.

thx.

4. CJSDJS

Does anyone know if there is a setting for the number of rings before the auto attendant picks up?

5. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

hi,

it soft phone or physical phone ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. discovery1

discovery1 Member

Are you saying you have a VOIP provider or PSTN line mapped to an extension and it doesn't ring?
    Or that you have a digital receptionist and there is no ring before it answers and prompts you to enter 1 for sales etc?

How is the incoming call being routed - VOIP provider or PSTN gateway?

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

the "counter" type of question :)
    Could you please specify why it is necessary?
    in other words, could you please specify sample of "call scenario"/"environment" which really requires it?

Thanks

8. CJSDJS

I have a digital receptionist, and there is no ring before it answers. The incoming calls are routed through Voip.

it is necessary because when someone dials my number, there is like 5 seconds of dead air before the DR answers and some of my clients are hanging up because there is no ring and they think they have dialed wrong.

thanks for your help folks.

9. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

The reason of "5 seconds of dead air" depends on call scenario...
    Could you please specify it(scenario)?

Thanks

10. CJSDJS

not sure if this is what you mean, but, person calls number, no ring, dr determines in or out of hours, responds with correct prompt, recorded by me.

thanks

11. discovery1

discovery1 Member

What he means is describe the incoming call path - is it direct to 3CX using a VOIP provider or through a PSTN or ISDN gateway?

VOIP provider names and gateway models would also help to figure out why there is 5 seconds of silence, as my 3CX install has about 1 second of silence after dialling the number before the DR answers.

12. CJSDJS

Oh, OK, the calls are direct to 3cx through my voip provider (voipms). There is no PSTN or ISDN gateway.

thanks.

13. garethb_83

I would also prefer to have a 1 or 2 ring delay or a custom option to enable/disabe before DR answers the call. It just keeps things as close to how other companies operate and what most users are used to hearing.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is a common scenario and has been requested by several of my clients. However nowhere in this thread has anyone indicated whether a solution exists or what it may be.

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What you might try, and this is not something I have tried myself, is to direct the incoming call to an extension. This would have to be registered or call would continue with no delay. Call forward the extension to the DR after a set delay of 7 seconds or so. This should introduce a ring or two before the DR answers. This is only a bandaid solution, and not feasible with many incoming calls, the real cause of the silence should be addressed.

You should probably have a look over the 3CX logs to see if there is a clue as to why the 5 seconds of silence. Is it actually after the call comes into 3CX?. As soon as a call is presented to 3CX from a VoIP provider the DR should answer. Have you checked to see if it isn't your provider that is introducing the delay (silence)? If so then it will still be there even if you provide a couple of ringback tones before the DR answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.