• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Auto Attendent - does not hear dtmf

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinnerfarm

Reaction score
-
3cx free, v 7
spa 3102

set up auto attendent

if i call it from the 3cx softphone all of the options work. I cal select one of the auto attendent options at any time it the call is set to the right extension.
If i dial in from outside, i get the auto attendent (volume seems a bit loud). I try to do the same thing and it seems the system does not hear my dtmf tone i.e., i press 1, or press 2, etc and the prompt just keeps playing.

If i wait until the prompt completes, then it will hear my dtmf tone and transfer me to the correct extension.

I used the sound recorder in windows to record the auto attendent prompt.

Any advice as to how to overcome this would be helpful.

Steve

SPA seems to work fine, btw.

OK, problem seemed to be that the regular phone i was calling from only sends out a very short dtmf tone. I tried it from my cell phone, which seems to send out a longer tone, and that now seems to work.

Is this a normal problem? Have other seen this?

Steve

What are you coming in to the 3CX on , a gateway from the PSTN ot VoIP?

yes,from pstn (actually, i am dialing out of my home office line - vonage) froma cordless phone to my other pstn line to which isattached a cordless base station and my spa 3102.

3102 answers, send the inbound call from the pstn line to the auto attendent. seems to work with a phone that can make long dtmf tones but not from a phone whichmakes short dmtf tones...

does that make sense?

Are you getting RTP errors in your log?

Yes, I have seen this problem before on a Panasonic wireless phones & fax system. It was only related to one phone out of the three phones we have on the old analog system. I just put it down to the keypad going faulty. but I might be wrong.

well, as it happens it was on a cordless panasonic phone that i had the problem calling from. When I use my cell phone it works fine. However, I can use my pansonic phone when I call my bank, or any other system I have called.

Strange. Oh well. Seems others had seen the same problem with a pansonic phone.

Steve

You could try increasing the PSTN to SPA Gain in the 3102. Just a bit at a time to test, you don't want to get echo problems. Too bad there is no option in the phone to increase the DTMF tone length, I have seen some phones that have that option.

Does your phone send "in-band" DTMFs?
What is the duration of tone?

Thanks

I am not sure about this - the only option on the phone is to select key tone on or off (it is set to on).

The key tone that is sent is very short - i.e., it does not keep sending it the full time i hold the key down. It is just a quick tone that is sent.

Steve

p.s., i have found, sometimes, if i press the button multiple times - especially during a quite part of the outgoing prompt - it will pick up the tone and forward the call to the correct extension based on the key i press (as to how it is configured in the auto attendent config).

also, from my cell phone (where i can send a longer dtmf tone based on holding the key down longer) it does work correctly.

I do notice in the earpiece of the cell phone the key tone is luder than it is from the corless phone (as well as being longer). Perhaps the key tone is just too low in volume for the system to pick it up over the outgoing prompt.

spinnerfarm said:
also, from my cell phone (where i can send a longer dtmf tone based on holding the key down longer) it does work correctly.

I do notice in the earpiece of the cell phone the key tone is luder than it is from the corless phone (as well as being longer). Perhaps the key tone is just too low in volume for the system to pick it up over the outgoing prompt.

Sorry, but I cannot detect the "culprit" basing on a verbal description. It may be either the IVR (I hope it is not) or the phone (I hope it is ;) ).
I need to ask you for "wireshark capture" of that call (made on PBX host). Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide native real-time logs for RTP streams on PBX side.

Thanks

Hi Spinnerfarm!

Did you find a solution or root cause to the DMTF tones not being recognized?

I have 3CX running well on hyper-v aside from one issue....

Any inbound (pstn) DTMF tones calls from very basic $10 pots phones ARE NOT recognized by the 3CX Digital Assistant. (I am assuming these use in-band DTMF tones)
Any inbound (pstn) DTMF calls from quality digital or mobile(cell) phones ARE recognized by the 3CX Digital Assistant. (I am assuming these use Out of band DTMF tones)

The SPA3102 syslog debug logs show nothing as expexted from the in-band cheap phone, but the mobile and digital office phones recognize the digit being pressed as FXo=Digit 1 and work fine.

Thanks

H

computeright said:
Hi Spinnerfarm!

Did you find a solution or root cause to the DMTF tones not being recognized?

I have 3CX running well on hyper-v aside from one issue....

Any inbound (pstn) DTMF tones calls from very basic $10 pots phones ARE NOT recognized by the 3CX Digital Assistant. (I am assuming these use in-band DTMF tones)
Any inbound (pstn) DTMF calls from quality digital or mobile(cell) phones ARE recognized by the 3CX Digital Assistant. (I am assuming these use Out of band DTMF tones)

The SPA3102 syslog debug logs show nothing as expexted from the in-band cheap phone, but the mobile and digital office phones recognize the digit being pressed as FXo=Digit 1 and work fine.

Thanks

H

Wireshark capture may prove your hypothesis as well as may refute it.

Hi All,
I hate "me too" posts just the same as everyone else, but here it goes anyway ..
We're having the same issue with (as far as we can tell up to now) one customer trying to call us. Gateway is a GrandStream 4104. We've tested a variety of cell and analog phones and so far this is the only one with a problem. This particular customer of ours is using a TalkSwitch system with analog extensions.

The question I have is, even if computeright's hypothesis is proven correct, what's the solution to the problem?
Pls don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to lay blame or anything, just trying to figure out where to go from here and help solve the issue :)

Thx - Marcus.

amos.max said:
Hi All,
I hate "me too" posts just the same as everyone else, but here it goes anyway ..
We're having the same issue with (as far as we can tell up to now) one customer trying to call us. Gateway is a GrandStream 4104. We've tested a variety of cell and analog phones and so far this is the only one with a problem. This particular customer of ours is using a TalkSwitch system with analog extensions.

The question I have is, even if computeright's hypothesis is proven correct, what's the solution to the problem?
Pls don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to lay blame or anything, just trying to figure out where to go from here and help solve the issue :)

Thx - Marcus.

Marcus,

We are discussing the concrete situation, isn't it?
Can you provide any information?
What is the reason to engage TalkSwitch and then specify that "I'm not trying to lay blame or anything"?

Please be more specific and don't generate the "me too" kind of posts.

Thanks

Stepan,

you obviously misunderstood my post. My intention was to inform everyone involved with this thread that this issue does not seem to be limited to the Linksys 3102 and the usage of sub-$10 phones.I don't see how much more specific I can get ...
Furthermore, the intention of my "not trying to lay blame" comment was actually to prevent this kind of response from you - as everyone else on this forum probably does too, I deal with my share of unreasonable/demanding customers as well as you do. In other words, what I was trying to say is that I am trying to help, not accuse.
Please don't interpret sarcasm (or anything else) into my statements where there is none.

That being said, I will do a packet capture as well and see if I can come up with anything.
Rgds - Marcus.

amos.max said:
Stepan,

you obviously misunderstood my post. My intention was to inform everyone involved with this thread that this issue does not seem to be limited to the Linksys 3102 and the usage of sub-$10 phones.I don't see how much more specific I can get ...
Furthermore, the intention of my "not trying to lay blame" comment was actually to prevent this kind of response from you - as everyone else on this forum probably does too, I deal with my share of unreasonable/demanding customers as well as you do. In other words, what I was trying to say is that I am trying to help, not accuse.
Please don't interpret sarcasm (or anything else) into my statements where there is none.

That being said, I will do a packet capture as well and see if I can come up with anything.
Rgds - Marcus.

Hi Marcus,

Sorry, may be I didn't understand your post. Thanks for explanation.

It looks like I need to reformulate my previous request:
Everybody who reports/discusses DTMF related issue should provide wireshark capture of network traffic on PBX host.

Thanks

Stepan,
pls excuse the newbie question: where to upload/send the packet captures ??

Thx - Marcus.

amos.max said:
Stepan,
pls excuse the newbie question: where to upload/send the packet captures ??

Thx - Marcus.
Hi Marcus,

You can attach file to your post (see "Upload attachment")
You can send me PM.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.