Auto Failover Senario Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Jamhawthorn, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamhawthorn

Mar 10, 2016

Ok reasonably new to 3CX, certainly an auto Failover required solution. - Need some advice on setting up. Not worried too much by licencing costs, or bandwidth issues at the moment.

I have a client with 5 branches. (There is VPN if required).

Im looking to create a solution where if a PRIMARY 3CX SERVER, WAN, SWITCH, INTERNAL DNS SERVER, or POWER goes down. The FAILOVER situated on another other branch kicks in and takes over with whatever it can (depending on issue at PRIMARY site). This crucially needs to be Automatic.

The Branches all have their own internal DNS servers which is where I think ONE my issues is. From reading the 3CX article, a script runs upon FAILOVER initiating, to update the DNS to the new FAILOVER server. But this is listed as only available behind 'The same local NAT device'. - This wouldn't be the case in my required scenario, they would be behind separate firewalls, separate WAN addresses etc. Although connected via VPN.

Now because they all have their own DNS servers, I was thinking of putting the extensions in STUN, even for the local site (if possible), and point the DNS on devices and Servers externally, (loopback on WAN in local sites case). then have a script (if possible) to update the external DNS to the FAILOVER wan address which is now sat there live in FAILOVER mode, ready to accept the incoming/outgoing packets.

-- While writing this, just thinking, could the script that updates DNS speak to all the DNS servers to update them via the VPN? - I guess it could right?!

Thoughts ladies and gentleman? Pitfalls? Better ideas? Am I missing something really simple and overlooking?

Many Thanks in advance, and please be nice :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.