• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Auto Fax Routing not an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayIT

Customer
Reaction score
I was eagerly planning to switch over from an aastralink PRO 160 system over to 3CX and was verifying that all features would be supported, but then I see one that looks like it does not. Currently our company only has a single external telephone # (with multiple lines as part of a hunt group). This number is published as both our voice and fax number. The aastralink will auto-detect if an incoming call is a fax (using the fax machines CNG tone). If it is a fax, it routes it to the fax machine. It works well.

In looking at the 3CX documentation, it looks like I have to have a caller manually enter the fax machines extension or use DID (and have to publish to all clients that out fax number has changed, and change all of our literature).

Does the 3CX system really lack they ability to discern CNG tones and route a call to the fax server or fax extension? 3CX system seems too feature-packed to be missing a feature like this. I must be missing something.

You pretty much have to have a dedicated fax number. You could request the feature in the ideas forum.

OK. But that idea has been around ever since fax-modems have been in computers...detect the Fax tone and switch to fax mode. And the old aastralink did it as well. 3CX already routes based on user input (DTMF tones) and the Fax tone is just a variation of that. This is really unfortunate. 3CX is so feature-packed its saddening to think something like this could keep me from switching over.

I've enabled that, but it does not enable auto-recognition of a fax call.

You need a dedicated fax number, either a separate trunk, or a DID. You cannot share the fax service, with voice calls, on the same number. There were stand alone analogue devices, that did fax tone detection, and could then ring out on multiple phone jacks, phone or fax machine, for those that only had a single phone line, I haven't seen one being sold for years. I suppose, it is assumed, that a 3CX user has the resources to dedicate a separate line/number for fax service, if required.

I can't recall seeing a business listing that has the same number for both voice and fax calls. Obviously, it can, and does happen, but, it is very rare.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickD_3CX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmirLD
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.