Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Auto-Route to Fax based on Fax greeting tone

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by JayIT, Oct 11, 2017.

Auto-Route to Fax based on Fax greeting tone 5 5 4votes
5/5, 4 votes

Tags:
  1. JayIT

Apparently 3CX requires that dedicated fax number be used to receive faxes or requires that the user enter the FAX extension. The former is difficult for a company that only has 1 external number and the latter is not an acceptable thing to require.

Other devices already deal with this by assuming a call is a voice call and then auto transfers the call to the fax extension if it detects the sending fax greeting tone. In this way we can publish one number as our voice and fax number and then 3CX would deal with the calls that are faxes automatically.

2. patricksmalley

This needs to be a thing.

3. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

There are very little chances this will happen. I will explain why.

The work involved to do this, "Detect fax tone and forward to fax", is so big - that it just does not justify the 5 dollars more you need to get a did number. You guys have a trunk already. So adding 1 did to that trunk, cannot be expensive. I got did's for as little as 2 dollars a month.

Also keep in mind that you will not be making any outgoing calls from this line. Incoming only just for fax. I think it is not unreasonable. What do you guys think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joe Fox

Here's my use case for this feature -- people dial the wrong number (because people are stupid sometimes).

About 1/3 of the incoming calls we receive are people who dialed the wrong number and are trying to send us a fax (IN 2018 where faxes shouldn't even exist, but that's beside the point). We're setting up a hot button, but if when our autoattendant picks up and it hears the fax tone that it could transfer to an extension OR an outside line so we don't have to manually notice it, that would be immensely useful.