• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Automatic assign designated range of extension number

Tao Huang

Forum User
Reaction score
When creating extensions, currently system will always try to auto assign the 1st number available. for example: 0001. (4 digits).

While this number is not what we want. We would like the extension ranges from 1200 to 1999. Is it possible to auto assign designated range of extension number like this?

Thanks.

Upvote 22
Why?
When you create a new extension change the number or do an import by CSV with the numbers you want.

I support this idea. I have in the past created the extension that precedes the block we use and provisioned the phone... realized my mistake, and then had to delete it and start over.

Reactions: accentlogic
I support this idea. I have in the past created the extension that precedes the block we use and provisioned the phone... realized my mistake, and then had to delete it and start over.

Thanks craigreilly. This explain the 'Why' in #2...

This worked in older versions of 3CX. We would also like to see it back.

Preferably, new extensions would automatically be assigned the next available extension number after the last assigned extension number.

Example: Let's say a site uses extension numbers in the 100 series. Users start at 100 and work up, but "phantom" extensions (general voicemail and other special extensions) we start at 199 and work down. If 101, 102 and 103 exist, the next should be 104. If we created a phantom extension of 199 the next would be 200, but we can manually change it to 105 - and the next auto assigned should be 106....

I would like to see this added ASAP as well. Lack of this has made the new Office 365 integration auto create extension feature absolutely useless to turn on. The operator extension is 1000 and turning on the integration created 0000-0012 which needed to be deleted and recreated manually in the correct range.

I'm a new dealer and really want to love this system because it does so much right. But the things it fails at are so basic and standard in nearly all other systems that I have trouble pushing it as hard as I want to with clients.

Reactions: Dion Vansevenant
+1 for this

I started activating O365 integration over the weekend. Our extensions start at 1201. The O365 integration default of "Create extensions for everyone not yet in 3cx" kicked in and generated about 15 new extensions before I could turn it off. Very confusing for users who don't even have an extension in our system.

+1... Same boat with the 365 integration. Need a starting extension for integration and the system as a whole.

+1
Is there any traction on this?
Avaya have been doing this for years. It seems like a pretty simple thing to implement.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.