Automatic Provisioning of Cisco SPA Phones

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by BA7389, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BA7389

I seem to be a step or two behind everyone here, but again not sure how 3CX expected that "hard" phones would be auto-provisioned. We are still in a pilot environment, by the way.

For phones on the local unregistered address subnet where the 3CX is installed, the default cisco.ph.xml file provisions phones correctly and the mailtemplate welcome message file is consistent.

I have created several other versions of the phone provisioning template file for testing purposes. Primary intent is to substitute either a FQDN:port or the external_pbx_ip:port for the (internal pbx_ip:port) setting. Since there is only one welcome message template, is there a downside to pointing phones on or off subnet (of the 3CX) to the external IP address of the 3CX server for provisioning and modifying the welcome message template to match? Will this work or is there a better/right way to address?

Thanks,

Bruce

2. willow

willow Member

in v10 I do belive that the email adds the external ip address at the bottom of the letter. I think it is best to have the all the phones register localy via the internal ip address and then just had modify the external phones. i am assuming that for traffice purposes to get to 1.2.3.4 the external address the packet would need to get to the router and then travel back to the pbx. where as if you go to 192.168.x.x localy the switch will handle that traffic and send it to the correct switch port at a much faster speed and throughput.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BA7389

I'm not concerned about router traffic or transaction speed, but would like to auto-provision phones on other subnets. If a user moves to a new location, would like to just have the sysadmin change the MAC address in the provisioning section of setup to allow the extension number to appear at the new location (on a different subnet).

Does this just not work this way?

Thanks,

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.