Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Automatically Schedule your 3CX Backup

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ziptalk, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

Here is a short batch file script you can schedule using Task Scheduler to backup your 3CX using the 3CX Backup Utility. This script will generate a new backup file eachtime it is run, by virtue of the %random% value that ensures the file name is unique. Note, the random function is basic, but it'll suffice for my requirements, and that is daily snapshot backups, particularly as I am editing the configuration on a regularly basis as I learn more about the system and implement features and soforth.

Backup.bat - Sample Code for automated scheduled backups to generate unique filename and not overwrite existing backup
    Code:
    cd C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin

3CXBackup backup C:\3CX_Backup\3cxbackup%random%.zip /call history /prompts /recordings /exit
    I would dump some more screenshots in, but it's late, and I trust everyone is accustomed to setting up a task in task scheduler and creating a .bat file in notepad.

Hope that's useful. Lewis

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WINWARE

What version of 3CX backup are you using? I am using v7.1.6589.0.

When I run a 3CXBackup.exe /? I get the switches are:

/callrecordings
    /voicemails
    /voicepromts
    /callhist

3. WINWARE

Also, Does this stop the 3cx services to do the backup?

4. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

doesn't stop the services, it's a live backup, i have one running mid-day and no issues on the phone system which is live.

I'm running 7.1.7139.0

If you check the manual it shows all the switches, I think I saw the /exit there to close the gui on completion.

Hope that helps, Lewis

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, But don't you need to make sure you have volume shadow copy enabled to prevent file corruption?

6. johnb

Apparently the option switches have changed. I use the following:

REM set todays date as variable - NOTE this only works for UK dates - change for other date layouts

SET TODAY=%date:~6,4%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~0,2%

"c:\program files\3cx phonesystem\bin\3cxbackup.exe" /hidden backup Z:\3cx_backups\%today%.zip /callrecordings /voicemails /voiceprompts /callhis

This runs backup hidden and automaticaly exits on completion. Each filename is date of backup.

7. pjr

pjr New Member

Hi John - thanks for that - works like a charm!

Paul

8. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Here's my Working solution for it.
    And it's Fully Automated.

You can Change the Program Files Path if you are using 64Bit / 32Bit Machines.
    You will have to make a Folder Called 3CXBackups in your C:\ Directory first so all the backups will go there.

Attached Files:

9. stash

stash New Member

Sir john,

How can i include the firmware on the backup :D and changed the %today% filename to be the date todya?

Thanks,

STASH

10. gschwab

gschwab New Member

Lets not forget that in the event of a hard drive failure (your most likely reason for data loss) these backups are useless if stored on the same drive as 3CX. At the very least you should make a backup of your working installation to a CD or DVD. I personally do a tape backup of the server every night and take the previous nights backup off premises that way should there be a failure or worse yet a theft or fire I simply get a new computer, restore the whole thing and be up and running.

George

11. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Add a USB drive so at least it's on a separate medium...

12. igadmin

You can also create a "Dated" backup instead of a randomized named backup.

I'm using this script which gives me backup files with <today's date>.zip

@echo off
    cd "C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin\"
    set today=%date:~-4%%date:~4,2%%date:~7,2%
    3CXBackup.exe backup C:\3CXBackup\3CX.%today%.zip /callrecordings /voicemails /voiceprompts /callhist /firmware /exit
    SET today=
    exit

13. craigreilly

and you can use the forfile utility to get rid of "x" # of files.
    I keep 5 days
    forfiles.exe /p F:\ /s /m *.zip /d -5 /c "cmd /c del @path"

14. grapevine

I have been trying to get the automatic back-up to work on version 11 and have now sorted it...with help.

I am running this on Windows 7 Pro (64-bit).

> Use the following to create a batch file:

@echo off
    echo Running Configuration Backup...
    "C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin\3CXBackup.exe" hidden backup "(Specify the path here that you want to save to)\config_backup.zip" /exit

echo Running Data Backup...
    "C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin\3CXBackup.exe" hidden backup "(Specify the path here that you want to save to)\full_backup.zip" /callrecordings /voicemails /voiceprompts /callhist /exit

> Save that file to the C:\ drive
    > Give administrator rights to the 3CX Backup and Restore Utility
    > Open Windows Task Scheduler
    > Create a new file by right clicking on the Task Scheduler Library and name it 3CX
    > Create a new task in here and use the batch file that you saved to the C:\ drive.
    > Set the task to run as often or as little as required.

This will now create a full backup (VM ect..) and a config backup which is your base config.

Hope this helps as I had to spend a bit of time on it getting it right.

15. craigreilly

You should also consider backing up to a Thumb Drive or external hard drive if you are on a small machine (non server grade [no raid]).
    Also, I recently had some issue getting the backup to run when not logged in, and I found changing the user to "Administrators" (the group) that it worked.

16. PCTurnkey

Thanks guys. The BackerUpper didn't work for me, but used the first post to create a .bat file. Changed it so it backed-up on server and locally.
    Works like a charm!

17. PCTurnkey

Here's what I used (created in notepad, filename: 3cxBackup-Local.bat):

cd C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin

3CXBackup backup E:\Backup\3CX\3cxbackup%random%.zip /call history /callrecordings /voicemails /voiceprompts /callhist /prompts /recordings /exit

#I think the last two are redundant, but I checked the zip file it created and it has everything I needed stored. File size is about 5.80MB (don't know if that's really low since my setup is relatively new, or average for 10 extensions).

18. Denzeltpa

@Grapevine, Thanks it worked great. Does the full backup include the full system config? I haven't gotten into the manual to really check how it runs and with what switches.

Also, I put the backup into a mapped network drive and into dropbox. I always have an offsite copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.