Avaya 9620 SIP

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mixig, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixig

mixig Active Member

Hi forum members,

I am struggle with phone few days and get to register phone on 3cx (15.5 SP4).
    Found many topics on 3cx forum where guys have a several problems like I do.
    Problem is that every second call is passing.
    With wireshark it is clear that avaya phone doesn't support 407 Proxy authentication required, instead to send reInvite with credentials it sends ACK and the call is dropped..
    I am using 2.6.11 firmware but seen that same thing is with 2.6.12:
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/avaya-9650-9620.40086/
    Latest firmware which supporting this model is 2.6.12 and it doesn't work, also with 2.6.11 no luck so what I am asking is anyone has some other firmware for this model of phone so that I can do test, maybe some older firmware.
    I know that phone in unsupported but what I need is basic thing to work; incoming/outgoing calls and nothing more.

Jesse Amos likes this.
  2. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

I bought some similar models off eBay when I was playing with a demo Avaya server edition a few years ago and they were in fact H323 models so you may wish to check, in wireshark it would be easy to identify.

If definitely SIP Avaya phones they are still proprietary and getting them to talk to 3CX would be a challenge, you maybe able to achieve basic registration but id say you are best off getting a cheapy supported phone.

3. mixig

mixig Active Member

Firmware is dual stack h323/sip, i setup SIG=2 (SIP) and phone is registered on 3cx.
    I am trying to setup this phone because price which I have for that model is about 10-15$ per phone.
    That is the only reason why I am trying that much to get that phone to work with 3cx (and the phone really look nice and professional).

4. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Where the cost I imagine would be attractive, I would encourage you avoid doing this in the future and opt for a "supported" phone: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

Like the ones I bought these Avaya phones are most likely refurbished yes ?

You can pickup Grandstream at a pretty good price and they are supported (and new also)L
    https://www.amazon.com/Grandstream-...=1522598410&sr=1-1&keywords=grandstream+phone

Avaya phones are designed for Avaya phone system not 3CX. They are competitive products.

If the phones are registered, great work! but be are that the benefits you will get from a "supported" phone - some of the highlights would be:

* CTI functionality with 3CX Phone.
    * Plug and play provisioning (locally and across the SBC).
    * BLF Functionality and provisioning.

5. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

What is the model of the Avaya you have?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mixig

mixig Active Member

Avaya 9620 (without any additional mark, L,C...).
    Maybe if 3cx can send 401Unauthhorized will do a trick?

7. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

but you have the proper firmware?
    3CX always sends a challenge.. Its part of the protocol. If you do not see this then something is really really wrong in the way the phone is communicating with the pbx.
    From where did you get the firmware?
    Do you have any of these models instead? 9608G and 9611G

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. mixig

mixig Active Member

I have a proper firmware, 2.6.11, in 46xx file there is a comment that say support fw for 96x0 is 2.6.x.
    3cx is sending 407 every second call, not for each call, i found same issues on mulitiple threads on this forum, dont know why is not sending 407 for each call.
    At the end I assume the problem is with sip stack on the Avaya. I can investigate that two INVITE messages, maybe there is a different betwen INVITE messages which are sent from Avaya.
    Also I found on the Interent where people say to try put phone in the same subnet as 3cx but that doesnt have any sense to me.

I have older models 46xx and they are working ok for the last 5 years.
    For 96xx i dont have any other models (for now).

9. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

10. mixig

mixig Active Member

I can try with that firmware but is says it will not load on any other model except models which are listed, and there is no 9620 (9621 is on the list).
    If you tried with 9620 I will do the same and report back the results.

11. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

OK but find the best, latest and the greatest firmware because the one you have is ancient..
    the way you are explaining the issue, it looks like the firmware you have makes the phone implement SIP in a Very very bad way.

It seems that the firmware is so old that it expects the server to make calls without authentication. Phones like this should not be placed online.

We got two phones working. We will put a template for experimentation on the forums this week with the limitations they have (No Blf etc)

12. mixig

mixig Active Member

Thanks for the work done so far, please let me know when you put template for experimentation on the forum

13. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Im going to make a blog post on this one late today or tomorrow morning..
    in the meantime download the BETA template from here
    http://downloads.3cx.com/downloads/misc/phonefirmware/avaya/avaya.ph.xml

The doc will explain the limitations these phones have. In the meantime you guys can start reading whats inside the template.

Suggestions of course are always welcome.. Stay tuned to the blog. More info coming soon.

14. mixig

mixig Active Member

Thanks for sharinag a template, i would definitely take a look, but regarding my problem I mentioned that my model 9620 is not supproted with the newer version of SIP firmware
    What I found in wireshark for 9620 model (few post with the same problem) is that in every second call Avaya 9620 is initialy sending Auth in first INVITE, instead after the challenge 401/407 (attach).
    Now I really belive that SIP stack for 9620 is wrong and there is no help

Attached Files:

• NOK.PNG
      NOK.PNG
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
    • OK.PNG
      OK.PNG
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
  15. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Listen - there is one thing we know about avaya - you MUST have the Extension number and AUTH ID EQUAL to each other. SO if you register using extension 100, you need to try with
    EXT NUM 100, Auth ID 100 and pass whatever OR even like this - Ext 100, Authid100 and pass 100.
    Try these two ancient insecure combinations and see if this fixes the problem.

16. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.