AVAYA 96xx /9620 Phones

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by randomtat, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomtat

Hi all,

Not really a request for help, but just some info to help people trying to get these working with 3CX free edition. I tried using v2.4.1 of the SIP firmware and it slightly unstable so your best going with v2.2 as it seems to work fine (handset has managed to stay logged in for longer than 7 days). My biggest problem was getting the 46xxsettings.txt correct which the phone loads during bootup. Anyway i've pasted a copy below in the hope folks might find it useful.

I'm trying to put an idiots guide together on to re-flash one of these things to get it working, but its a little bit more work than I orginally thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ## This is the webserver you tell the phone to download the 46xxsettings file from in the future
    SET HTTPSRVR 192.168.0.201

## HTTP port on the above server
    SET HTTPPORT 80

## Test VLAN
    SET VLANTEST 1

## Makes the phone auto login after reboot
    SET QKLOGINSTAT 1

## Internal extension number length
    SET PHNDPLENGTH 4

## Outside line access number
    SET PHNOL 9

## Rest of the dialplan settings
    SET DIALPLAN "[1]xxx|[4]xxx|[5]xxx|[6]xxx|90xxxxxxxxxx"

## These settings just lock down the menus on the phone - The settings below give you full blown access
    SET APPSTAT 1
    SET OPSTAT 111
    SET PROCSTAT 0
    SET PROCPSWD 27238
    SET PHY1STAT 1
    SET PHY2STAT 1
    SET LANG0STAT 1
    SET SCREENSAVERON 15
    SET GUESTLOGINSTAT 0
    SET SPEAKERSTAT "2"

## This setting must be left at0 otherwise the phone logs itself out after 10 mins
    SET ENABLE_AVAYA_ENVIRONMENT 0

## Re-register Timer in seconds
    SET REGISTERWAIT "300"

## Sip domains
    SET SIPDOMAIN "sip.example.com"
    SET SIPPROXYSRVR "192.168.0.201"
    SET SIPPORT "5060"

## 0 sets it to UDP, 1 sets to TCP, 2 sets to TLS
    SET SIPSIGNAL 0

## This field re-affirms what is above but it is needed otherwise you'll get a message saying cant connect to call server
    SET SIP_CONTROLLER_LIST 192.168.0.201:5060;transport=udp

## Time & Date settings
    SET SNTPSRVR "time.uk2.net"
    SET DSTOFFSET "1"
    SET DSTSTART "2SunMar2L"
    SET DSTSTOP "1SunNov2L"
    SET GMTOFFSET "-0:00"
    SET SYSTEM_LANGUAGE Mlf_English.xml
    SET COUNTRY "UK"
    SET DATEFORMAT %d/%m/%y
    SET TIMEFORMAT 0
    SET DAYLIGHT_SAVING_SETTING_MODE 2

# More full-blown menu settings
    SET CALLFWDSTAT "1"
    SET ENABLE_SIP_USER_ID 0
    SET CNGLABEL 1.
    SET PROVIDE_OPTIONS_SCREEN 1
    SET PROVIDE_NETWORKINFO_SCREEN 1
    SET PROVIDE_LOGOUT 1
    SET ENABLE_CALL_LOG 1
    SET ENABLE_REDIAL 1
    SET ENABLE_REDIAL_LIST 1
    SET ENABLE_CONTACTS 1
    SET ENABLE_MODIFY_CONTACTS 1
    SET ENABLE_MULTIPLE_CONTACT_WARNING 1
    PROVIDE_EDITED_DIALING 3
    SET PUSHCAP 12222

# Sets Codecs
    SET ENABLE_G711A 1
    SET ENABLE_G711U 1
    SET ENABLE_G726 1
    SET G726_PAYLOAD_TYPE 110
    SET ENABLE_G722 0

# Enable caller ID - Name & number
    SET DISPLAY_NAME_NUMBER 1

# Voicemail settings button
    SET PSTN_VM_NUM "1234"
    SET MSGNUM 1234
    # MWI indicator server - Point this at the 3CX server
    SET MWISRVR "192.168.0.201"

2. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

I was under the impression that Avaya was moving away from SIP and into there own proprietary system. Glad to here you got this working.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. randomtat

I believe Avaya are keen on using H.323 as the main protocol but their SIP support is far better than Cisco.

I've rolled out these phones(SIP firmware) to 4 people to try out and the feedback I've recieved is that they have more functionality than the Cisco 7940(SIP variant).

For example:-

1/ On hook dialing - Cisco disabled it in their SIP firmware even though its available is SCCP.

2/ Proper caller display detailing the stuff they need to know like name and number, not the IP address of the call server and associated stuff they are not interested in.

3/ Backlight display

4/ Very powerful personal phone book

5/ Standard plantronics headsets work without needing cisco's rewired lead,

6/ Integration with MS Exchange server so calenders can determine if the handset should be put on DND.

But the real jewel in the crown with these devices is by default you tell the handset to look for a call server and the users can roam with their extension numbers around the office as it gives the users the option to login/logout of the call server as opposed to the Cisco which requires the ext number to be hard-coded into the config file.

Personally I would never offer Cisco's to end users anymore as these Avaya 9620's are the same price and have easily available free firmware from Avaya which doesn't require a maintenance contract or website login to acquire.

Sorry I know I sound like an avaya salesman, but these handsets are much better!

4. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

I have always been told that they have been a solid product, I just bought a Cisco 7940G, a Snom 220, and a polycom 501to test out. I'm now wondering if perhaps I should send back the cisco for an Avaya.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. randomtat

They are definately a much better handset. If you need any help in getting it working then drop me line :)

6. coertvc

Dear Randomtat or anyone Else

I'm using very nice Avaya 9650 SIP (FW 2.6.12) devices on which I have currently two issues that you may be able to help me on.
    first the specs;
    avaya is only internal facing, 3cx v12 server on 2008R2 server, on ESXI server that has 1 GB NIC and SSD drives. Netgear 724TP PoE switch, with no Vlan's (so just the basic Lan) and no QoS or Voip VLan. GB Cables and all.. also the 46xxsettings file and binaries are HTTP(80) based and the phone can see them. I enter the ip of the file server manually as my TFTP redirect by DHCP is not yet solid

Issue 1;
    when the file is being taken by the phone, I only see a portion of the settings being taken, so the logfile server is set, the catagories are as well, but for some reason not the severities. same with contacts, I tell the file to enable contacts and all, but no "add" button on the contacts list nor the ability to import/see the usb key with the 9xxxContacts.txt (btw; the IEEE switch is set to High) and there are other settings that do not seem to pass through

Issue 2:
    receiving calls is going fine with out issue, but making calls is annoying; making the first call almost always results in a quick beeping error, like no service available, second attempt to dail is ALWAYS without issue. (with or without 9 or 0 to get out)
    the phone has lengthy logs about the issue that I do not really understand where to look (was set to debug :D ) but funny enough the 3CX server does not mention ONE single line about the first attempt.

I have been fighting the issue now for sometime, but I just do not want to let go of the Avaya's, they are just simply the best, yes even if they do not work :S

any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Attached Files:

7. coertvc

to add; same behavior on Asterisk/FreePBX v11/v12 on both issues as well. so I believe it is either the network or the phone.

I included the effective 46xx settings , including the comments if the settings work or not; if no comment, then I don't know.
    SET L2Q 2
    SET DNSSRVR 192.168.200.1 (working)
    SET QKLOGINSTAT 1
    SET SIPPORT 5060 (working)
    SET SIP_CONTROLLER_LIST 192.168.200.9:5060;transport=udp (working)
    SET CONFIG_SERVER 192.168.200.9 (working)
    SET CONFIG_SERVER_SECURE_MODE 0
    SET SIPPROXYSRVR 192.168.200.9 (working)
    SET SIPSIGNAL 0 (working)
    SET MWISRVR "192.168.200.9"
    SET SNTPSRVR 149.210.163.34 (working)
    SET GMTOFFSET +1:00 (working)
    SET DSTSTART 2SunMar2L
    SET DSTSTOP 1SunNov2L
    SET REGISTERWAIT "300"
    SET APPSTAT 1
    SET OPSTAT 111
    SET PUSHCAP 12222
    SET BAKLIGHTOFF 5 (working)
    SET SCREENSAVERON 10 (working)
    SET ENABLE_G711A 1
    SET ENABLE_G711U 1
    SET ENABLE_G722 0
    SET ENABLE_G726 1
    SET G726_PAYLOAD_TYPE 110
    SET ENABLE_G729 0
    SET MATCHTYPE 0
    SET LOGSRVR 192.168.200.3 (working)
    SET LOGLOCAL "7" (not working)
    SET LOCAL_LOG_LEVEL "6" (not working)
    SET LOG_CATEGORY DHCP,NETMGR,AUDIO,ALSIP,PPMDATA (working)
    SET HTTPSRVR 192.168.200.9 (working)
    SET HTTPPORT 80 (working)
    SET AUTH 0
    SET RTCPMONPORT 5005
    SET SYSLANG Nederlands (working)
    SET MSGNUM 900
    SET AMADMIN http://192.168.200.9
    SET CNGLABEL 1.
    SET PROVIDE_OPTIONS_SCREEN 1 (working)
    SET PROVIDE_NETWORKINFO_SCREEN 1 (working)
    SET PROVIDE_LOGOUT 1 (working)
    SET ENABLE_CALL_LOG 1 (working)
    SET ENABLE_REDIAL 1 (working)
    SET ENABLE_REDIAL_LIST 1 (not working)
    SET ENABLE_CONTACTS 1 (not working)
    SET ENABLE_MODIFY_CONTACTS 1 (not working)
    SET ENABLE_MULTIPLE_CONTACT_WARNING 1
    SET SYSTEM_LANGUAGE Mlf_Dutch.xml (working)
    SET LANGUAGES Mlf_Dutch.xml (working)
    SET RTP_PORT_LOW 5004
    SET RTP_PORT_RANGE 40
    SET SIG_PORT_LOW 1024
    SET SIG_PORT_RANGE 64511

8. meluvalli

I have figured out the problem with the fast busy on every other call.

If you set no password for the SIP account, it works fine. Then I had the problem where my phone prompted for login every boot... So, I setup a bogus password in the phone for SIP and it took it and now the phone logs in on it's own!

Now my only issue is that Message Waiting Indicator isn't working :(

9. coertvc

Thanks Maluvalli,

Do i understand you correctly that you have the same issue as I had and that you are using a fake password ?

where would this be set ? at the 3CX server or at the login of the phone ? I tried the login of the phone and it does not accept a wrong password. I do know that the Avaya's phones try to register them selves on the back ground using the MAC address, have you manually entered these into the 3CX console under 'PHONES'? my phones when connecting show up as "UNPROVISIONED"

regards,

Coert

10. coertvc

solved on my side by leaving the password empty on the extension on the 3cx server side :(

its good that I have a small organization and the server only internal, and a proper firewall to monitor and manage traffic :)

still. the Avayas have a strange trick on their authentication method.

11. peter_sgc

I don't like to bump an old thread from 2009 but this is the only Thread that has a more or less complete guide to getting an AVAYA 96xx working on 3cx.

I've tested this on 3CX12 and it works perfectly but it doesn't in 3CX 15, we just get "Logging in..." and then "Acquiring Service..." Then back to the login screen.

Does anyone know why? or what changed in v15?

12. coertvc

So, I'm about to move from my version 12 to v15 on Debian, will keep you posted... fingers crossed

13. coertvc

After working on this quite a bit I have decided to stick with v12 for now and not move to v15 debian. there are multiple reasons not to move, but the biggest one is that you can not change the password policy and as such your rule out all the Avaya phones.. (And i have quite a bit and they are simply the best to hold/use in the market)

I will keep the v12 for now and will be forced to look for an alternative

if anyone starts talking about security; my system is fully internal and secured by a firewall only allowing traffic from and to the SIP provider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.