Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Avaya (Nortel) 11xxE Phones and 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Novastorm, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Novastorm

We have 2 Avaya phones, an 1120E and an 1140E, both running SIP firmware, and i am wondering if anyone has been successful in getting these to keep registered to 3CX.

I can get both these phones to register, however after 30 minutes 3XC changes their status to unregistered. Calls FROM the phones still work, but even after making a call 3CX still lists them as unregistered. Calls to the phone stop working when they're not registered, since 3CX thinks they're not there. The phones themselves however still think they're logged in....

I have tried all manner of settings on the phones, and it doesn't seem to work. When i wireshark the phones they don't seem to send any keepalives, yet sometimes after a rebootof the phone they do send keepalives every 120 seconds but they must be the wrong kind because they still get unregistered after 30 minutes.

Another strange thing i have noticed is that 3CX does seem to check for the phones on startup/reset of services, because if the phones are not registered and i restart services they both show up as registered again, but after 30 minutes they are unregistered once again....also on resetting services, the Cisco SPA501G we have does NOT show up as registered untill it's own re-register countdown is hit and the phone initiates register itself. Arghh.....

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

3CX, generally (unless you change the setting), wants to see a registration , from devices, every 30 minutes. When a device first registers, and is capable, 3CX "suggests" that it register at that interval. It sounds like the Nortel phones are ignoring that and registering at a set interval greater than 30 minutes and 3Cx assumes that the phone is no longer available for calls. You need to go onto the settings and change the registration time on the phones to 30 minutes or less.

3. Novastorm

Thank you for your reply Leejor,

sadly there doesn't seem to be any way to set the phones to change the registration time (just an option for it to log out automaticly, not re-register).

The weird part is that one of the phones stayed registered for 2 days once the first time it was registered. These phones aren't supported by 3CX officially so i was just hoping someone on the forum had some success with it since i have tried everything i can think of.

Is it possible to change the 3CX settings to disable it's 30 minute timeout? I haven't found the option in the advanced settings>custom parameters but i think i read somewhere that it should be possible.

4. shilik

Can I change the register time interval? Cause I have the same issue

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I haven't had the time to try to get my set to "take" the configuration file that seems to have options for changing the registration time-out amongst other things. This guys site is a lot of help with the Nortel/Avaya sets. http://blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2011/01/avaya-ip-1100-series-ip-phone-upgrade-to-sip/

6. bergslags

Sorry to bump such old topic.

Did anyone solve this?
    I found 50 of these phones when we moved in to our new office some months ago, left by the previous company.

Found this http://www.users.on.net/~marcusbrutus/pbx/manuals/Avaya/100133325.pdf and apparently the keepalive is default 30 minutes.

Need to get home from vaction to test this with the latest firmware ASAP if now my phones can be upgraded....

/Per

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As I recall there was a more recent post regarding these type of sets.

I think that the forum member was having the same I issue I ran across. The set initially registers, and works fine, it just doesn't re-register when it should. I think that they ran some extensive tests on why that was happening.

I'll look and see if I can find it and post a link.

Here is one site dealing with the issue.. http://forums.networkinfrastructure.info/nortel-ip-telephony/1100-series-with-3cx/

And luckily he used the same name, so here is the post on the 3CX site...http://www.3cx.com/forums/avaya-nortel-1100-series-sip-phone-unregister-issue-37916.html

8. bergslags

Thanks for the links.

It doesn't look super-bright but at least it seems to be working as long as the phone is not rebooted.

/Per

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.