I currently have a Standard Perpetual License, that it on a windows server. I also have the Free Edition that is on a Linux server, and this is merely as a backup, in case for whatever reason G-D forbid the window server goes down. Reason for this is if this would happen, I can at least get phones back up temporary until what ever the issue would be on the windows server corrected. Now here is the issue. I have a schedule backup everyday during wee hours of everything except the FDQN and License Information, as I already have a separate license and FQDN for the free edition on the Linux. Now I attempted to do a manual restore of the scheduled backup on to the Free Edition on the Linux. I don't know what's happening, as I don't get an e-mail that the restore is complete, and I can't log in to the management portal. Keep getting server error... I did a uninstall and reinstall on the Linux, thinking there was an issue, but still same issue.. Couldn't get logged in to the management portal, server error... Did another uninstall and reinstall, this time, I did a manual backup off the windows server of everything but the FQDN and license information, then restored that on to the Linux, and that worked.. Got the e-mail restore complete, and able to log in Just wondering if anyone would know, why when I attempted to restore from the scheduled backup file, I had an issue, and when I restored from a manual backup, no issue... This is the 1st time manually restoring from a scheduled backup....Thanks!!!