Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Solved Backup Concern

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by techdummy, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Hi,

This could be a very stupid question.

Is it possible to use the backup from 3cx V15.5 on 3cx v12.5 ?

We have 2 servers in the organization and are planning to upgrade one of those to v15.5.

We have integrated some features to run with the V12.5 using Sugar CRM and in case someone reports an issue that those aren't working with V15.5, then we need to revert to v12.5 and then see what can be done about the feature.

So my concern is, if the team only finds out an issue after 2 or 3 days of the upgrade, whether or not we will be able to use the backup file from the 15.5 and use it on the 12.5.

Thanks

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @techdummy

Please note that you cannot restore a backup from a higher version to a previous version. This should be avoided in all circumstances.
    For you scenario i would recommend keeping the V12.5 backups so you can use those. If you have a licence you can use to test your scenarios before you upgrade that would be better still.

techdummy likes this.
  3. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Hello @YiannisH_3CX
    Thank you for clarifying it.
    I've been doing extensive testing on v15.5 as we are any way upgrading in Dec. But the issue with these features I mentioned is that, we can only test these features on live servers and that too when we have people calling our customer service agents. Or else, we have to simulate the same environment by creating a dummy data base, which is our best shot now.

4. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Also, about the backup file from 12.5 wont be updated as it wont reflect any of the changes that happened after the update.
    So we will in reality be using an old specification.
    Hopefully, there wont be any issue after the upgrade.
    Also, is there any way to get the call logs from the date of the upgrade to the day on which the issue was noticed? I believe these call logs can be saved somewhere but not used with the old system. Is that correct?

5. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You can export the call log from the Call Log menu, or you can run a backup you can keep and if needed restore it on a trial licence somewhere so you can retrieve anything you like

6. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Yeah, thankyou. Thought that much! :)

7. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

For the record, its the worst thing you can ever do.

Getting a modern backup which has DB tables, new functions and logic and restoring it on an older version (which does not understand the DB Tables, functions and logic).

to give you a completely different example, Its like getting a windows 10 backup and trying to put it on an XP? That sounds really bad yes.
    TIP: Do not do this in general with any software not just with 3CX.

Maybe if you explain what testing you want to make, we can guide you on a way forward. You can streamline your tests using DNS for example. VM Ware snapshots. Many things you can do. Pause the production and spawn a test one..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    techdummy likes this.
  8. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Thank you for clarifying this @nickybrg :)
    Backing up 15.5 to 12.5 was just a thought, it was never really the plan.
    Now the more I think about it, I understand it was indeed a stupid thing.
    Like I told before, I'm just looking at all the possible scenarios during the Upgrade that we plan on doing.
    This was one of those, I need to provide some suggestions about what can be done in case something bad happens after upgrade, which is why I was inquiring what can be done if something like that happened.
    But, I believe I have got the answer. The records can be obtained from a demo server running 15.5,using the backup from production server.
    Only thing is that we wont be able to do is to integrate those details into the live server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.