• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Backup failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfer

Silver Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
There is already a thread marked solved for this issue
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/backup-failure.47438/page-2

I have same problem on two 3CX installations. Unchecking call history on the backup makes it work.

Though it is not a problem for me to purge the call history in one of the 3CX that experiment this problem there is no way I can do it on another client PBX.

Don't know how to purge call history anyway.

So I'm now with a 3CX which last backup is on 30 August 2017.

Both are 3CX v15.5 upgraded from v15 and upgraded from v14. The backups some time ago where very very large and I found a huge folder with phone templates which is not present on v15 so I deleted it on both systems. But I don't think this is related to the problem as the backups continued working for a long time after that.

I think the problem is on call history backup because when it is disabled the manual backup works correctly. The log in verbose mode says nothing at all about the backup process so I can't figure out nothing about the issue.

This issue most probable was introduced on one of the last 3CX updates as both 3CX started showing this problem on 30 August.

Fresh 3CX v15 install does not show this problem.

Any clue of what's happening? I would need to solve this without losing data.

Last edited:
Hello @manfer

Does the issue occur on scheduled and manual backups? Have you tried the steps in the thread you mentioned? Also are you trying to backup locally or to an FTP server? Is this a windows or a linux installation?
Can you post the error you are getting so we can take a look?

Hello @YiannisH_3CX

Hello @manfer
Does the issue occur on scheduled and manual backups?
Both. On scheduled backup the destination finishes with a .zip.tmp empty file. On manual backup the destination finishes with a .zip empty file.

Have you tried the steps in the thread you mentioned?
Yes. I have disabled scheduled backup. Restarted services. Backup fails anyway. The only thing that makes backup work is disable call history from backup configuration. When doing so the backup works.

Also are you trying to backup locally or to an FTP server?
I backup to a FTP. Same FTP where other 3CX backups correctly. Same FTP those 3CX were using as destination before the issue started. The backup works correctly on this destination when I disable call history from backup configuration. FTP is not the problem at all. I can try local backup anyway.

Is this a windows or a linux installation?
Windows installation

Can you post the error you are getting so we can take a look?
Error, where? 3CX activity log shows nothing at all about the backup process even on verbose mode.

Last edited:
You should get an email if backup fails with an error included. Can you please try a local backup and let me know if that works?

Local backup works.

This is the error message when trying FTP backup:
3CX Phone System tried to backup but failed due to the following reason(s):

System.Exception: Error creating backup ---> System.IO.IOException: No se pueden leer los datos de la conexión de transporte: Se ha anulado una conexión establecida por el software en su equipo host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Se ha anulado una conexión establecida por el software en su equipo host

en System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)

en System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

--- Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la excepción interna ---

en System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

en System.Net.FtpClient.FtpSocketStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)

en System.Net.FtpClient.FtpDataStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)

en System.IO.Stream.InternalCopyTo(Stream destination, Int32 bufferSize)

en _3cxNetBackupAndRestore._3cxBackup.FinishingTask()

--- Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la excepción interna ---

en _3cxNetBackupAndRestore._3cxBackup.WaitForFinish()

en _3cxBackupRestoreImpl.BackupRestoreUtils.Backup(IFilesystem filesystem, String instanceId, String cfgPath, String dbConnectionString, BackupConfig options, String fullpathFilename, Boolean sendEmail)

en BackupRestoreSchedule.BackupJob.Execute(IJobExecutionContext context)

The FTP backup fails if call history is checked. It works if call history is unchecked.

Local backup works.

Besides it looks like local backup is not fully created as it is a 10MB file when previous backups were 127MB. I have purged the activity log but I don't think that will shrink the backup so so much, in case it is included in the backup.

Last edited:
Try to increase the connections per IP to as high as possible and set the timeout value to the highest value. Also if you have extended passive mode enabled on your FTP please disable it and try again.

The FTP has no problem at all. I can transfer files to the FTP with any FTP client without any problem.

The 3CX that were creating correct backups is not doing it anymore.

What is even worst is that when I do backup to FTP manually the email shows it has finished correctly but the file on FTP is a 0 bytes file.

Backup of 'ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xxxxxx/3CX/testtest.zip' is completed successfully

I will now test to transfer a file with a FTP client from one of the computers that has 3CX installed.

I have used windows FTP client to send a file from one of the computers where 3CX backup is not working to the FTP server and it works perfectly.

When I disable call history on 3CX backup configuration the backup works perfectly both locally and with FTP as target.

When I enable call history on 3CX backup configuration the backup on FTP is a 0 bytes file and locally is same size as if call history were disabled.

This is obviously an error on 3CX backup that started recently -two months ago in some of the installations-.

Forget about any problem on my FTP.

Last edited:
As i am unsure if local backup works, lets start from there. Can you perform a local backup with call history and without? The backup being 10mb does not mean it doesn't work. Please perform a local backup with both settings and try to restore it to a test offline server and let us know if the backup restores correctly on not. This will help determine where the issue is coming from.

You are right. Local backups work. I have created one with just License Information, one with License Information and Call History, and a Full Backup and all worked.

Still not sure what is wrong with FTP backup. FTP is working properly. I can connect with windows ftp client from command line and put a file on the server with same user and on same folder where I'm trying to store the 3CX backup. Same credentials and folder that worked for a long long time on 3CX backup configuration.

Thank you for the update,

Your issue sounds strange and we will need to review some log files and a capture to determine what is causing this. This is why i have sent you a p.m. with what we will need. Please check your inbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alkhateeb.itsupport
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.