Backup Server

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jasonhayes, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Hi. We have licenced for one copy of 3CX, does anyone know if I can configure a backup copy on another server and activate the licence. Once done I will shut down the backup server and only start it up if we have an issue with the other installed running copy. I need to have a plan if anything happens to the current install of 3CX, the second installation could be used and switched so the downtime was keep to minutes not hours while we load the software.

2. mixig

mixig Active Member

That's exactly what I did with version 11, no problems for now...

3. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

I believe that you need 2 licenses for that purpose, 3CX should chime in on this one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

When you create a backup using the 3CX 'Backup and Restore tool' - it includes the 3CX license. So restoring a 3CX server from a backup licenses it too.

Our standard procedure for setting up a 'backup' 3CX server, is to create a second platform, and ensure that any 3CX updates and service-packs are applied to both machines. We set up command-line back-ups to carry out a daily backup of the operational 3CX server to a USB memory stick [or you could do it to a shared folder on the stand-by machine] - and simply transfer that stick to the back-up machine and do a restore to get it operational. Last thing to do is to change the LAN IP address of the back-up machine to that of the [now out of service] operational 3CX server - and all should be running as it was.

We have carried out this process a couple of times (once in anger and other times in tests) - it's simple, and fairly quick to do - and it works OK.

Only license issues I've had questioned is when I've looked to on-sell a second user system from a customer that went bust. 3CX won't allow us to change the customer name on the license ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

I hate to say this but the 3CX licensing agreement is quite clear, you need to purchase another license. Additionally, when the MAC address changes it will re-activate w. 3CX and there is a limited number of re-activations allowed.

6. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

Thanks Charles
    You've brought up something that I've been meaning to do ... Where do 3CX publish the terms and conditions associated with their software licenses? - I'm not into it for bed-time reading, but do need to appreciate their scope.
    Maybe I'm googling the wrong item - but I just can't find it ... Do you have a link please??

Thanks & regards

7. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

OK - was loading a 3CX today and copied and pasted the license conditions out of the window that you usually blindly ignore and tick 'Accept' ...

According to section 2. Grant of license - section (i) ...

The license granted to Licensee is expressly made subject to the following limitations: Licensee may not itself (and shall not permit any third party to): (i) copy, other than as expressly permitted, all or any portion of the Software, except that Licensee may make one copy of the Software for archival purposes for use by Licensee only in the event the Software shall become inoperative; (ii) modify ... etc.

My understanding from that is that you are allowed to make a copy of the operational license so that in the event of failure, you have a back-up to put into service ... Which is both sensible and reasonable - don't you think???

best regards

8. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Graham:
    I am sorry but I disagree with that. Microsoft does not allow you to install Office on your desktop and laptop even when, obviously, you can only operate one of them at the time. Nor can you do that just because "your desktop may fail".

9. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

Thanks for the feedback Charles ... being able to restore a 3CX system quickly in the event of a hardware fault is very important to us - and therefore I will take this up with our local 3CX office in the UK to get their dictate on the matter.

Taking your Microsoft example - I accept that, but you can create a Ghost image of a hard drive (or even RAID1 mirror), and that will duplicate your Microsoft Operating System or Office license so that if your hard-drive fails, you still have an operational M'soft environment for your computer ... and - Strangely enough, the Microsoft Office license (not OEM though) will actually allow dual install of Office on a user's desk and laptop PC's - as the theory is that you'll be using one or the other.

It's quite strange that the standard 3CX backup application will create a copy of your system complete with license details (i.e. you don't need to re-input the license key into a restored 3CX system) - so technically, if I'm holding e.g. monthly backups of my system, am I violating the license because each backup contains the license key??? i.e. I have more than one copy etc. ...

What you can do, and what you are allowed to do - may be two different things of course. Licensing is a minefield - and backup is important - so I do want to take this further with 3CX ...

10. Wardy

Wardy New Member

Even Microsoft always used to allow you to install a second copy, however this may have changed!

11. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

And what about running a VMware (or similar virtualization platform) ?
    Would you need a second license (typical environment - 2 servers, shared storage, same IP) ?

Regards

12. jj12

Of ciourse you can, and simply use the backup and restore tool so that if somethkng does happen to the system you ahve a working config. Load it to the backup machine and you are good to go.

13. netswork

netswork Active Member

You would not need multiple licenses for vmware if your referring to vmotion. It uses the same virtual mac when you move it to another esx box.

14. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Billy:

Your example is not a second server. You are simply moving the very same instance from one Host to another. In that case you only really have one server so the question does not apply and one license is all you would ever need.

15. netswork

netswork Active Member

Right, and that's how I understood the question.

If you wanted two separate virtual machines, one virtual machine as a backup you would need a second license. A better way would be to use vmwares fault tolerance feature to have a hot standby server. You would not need a second 3cx license for this. You could also use veeam's backup/replication software to create a redundant VM without needing a separate 3cx license.

If you want a hot standby and your not using vmware I don't see why anyone would be upset about having to pay for a second license. 3cx is priced such that it is more affordable then most any other commercial solution. If the customer wants a redundant server I would think they would be willing to pay for the extra license.

I think that 3cx could offer a different pricing model perhaps for a redundant server but I don't think it should be free. In that scenario 3cx would need to support a hot standby solution that's a little more robust then the current offering. I think the biggest limitation there is the phones ability to have two registration server configurations. You would need a second license of windows anyway. Any other phone system that allows for hot standby such as Cisco publishers and subscribers require two licenses. The licensing is just different since you license the server then license the device rather than license a number of calls.

16. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Billy:

I completely agree with you and having a virtual infrastructure solves the issue without the need for a second license. Reading the OP the user intends to have another server (means another physical machine with another MAC address). He needs 2 licenses at that point.

17. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

I've had a chat with 3CX UK about this issue - and been told that the 3CX license is 'a license to use'. Therefore, 3CX are very flexible in regard to how you configure your back-up, or 'copy', of your license, as long as it's not in simultaneous operation with the primary 3CX server.

I discussed the scenario of a built and configured 3CX server sitting idle in case of failure of the primary unit, and was told that this was acceptable as both machines were not in use at the same time ... Especially if there was a need to remove the primary machine from the LAN and then change the NIC IP address on the backup machine to put it in service ...

My overall impression was that - at least here in the UK - 3CX are very keen to ensure that we can support our customers with innovative back-up strategies - as long as that backup strategy does not allow the customer to abuse the license and get more SimCall's than they have paid for.

I have suggested that a 'Blog' to clarify this issue would be of value - as it does appear that it's not as clear as it could be ...

best regards

18. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Billy:

Actually the phones have no issue at all. We have been doing dual server configs with the GXP21XX series since the beginning. They support 2-SIP servers with auto failover and auto-restore.
    My concern is that you are talking big bucks for a full VMWare setup. Certainly great but very costly. Ditto on Veam, we love it too.

19. yas

yas

Hi everyone, just want an update. anyone tried to restore their 3cx backup to another machine with license in it?

20. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

Yes - have done this several times ...
    On one occasion I ran a customer's 3CX on a support laptop while we sourced and installed a PSU for their 3CX server - and on another occasion, did the same while we upgraded a server OS and 3CX version.

No problems on either occasion ...

best regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.