Backups and Licence

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bell, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bell

Hi,

I'm about to roll out a lot of small installs of 3CX so im not going to be using very powerful hardware, just an i3 with 4gb ram and a single hard drive.
    The PC's will be backing up configs nightly to external an external hard drive.
    Im also going to keep one machine built up with 3CX installed and unconfigured and unlicenced so in the event we have one fail it will be a quick swap and a restore of the config on the external drive.
    What im wondering is if the licence will transfer across without any issues being on different hardware. I've read that if the external IP remains the same there wont be any problems (which it will), just want to confirm that or ill need to look at other ways of getting it done.

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

Without getting into the technical aspects of the license checking (it is more than just external IP)... you should be ok. Frequent changes to the environment for an existing license will cause a problem. As a fail-safe, if you have a 'lot' of small installs, you might want to think about buying an extra license for that spare box, or just having it but not activating it to use if need be.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As I understand it...it is the MAC address of the new NIC card that will be an issue when attempting to use the same licence. I believe that you then need to contact 3CX to have the licence "moved' to the new hardware.

4. bell

Okay thanks for that. Ill have to see if its worth while buying the additional licence or running them under the free licence for the time it takes to get the other up and running. Does anyone know if it will drop down from paid for to free licence or will stop working all together after import? I don't really want to test it and break something.

5. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

If the license fails to activate it will drop down to the functionality/imitations of the free license.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.