Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Bad call quality issue

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by frankri, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankri

I have an audio quality issue on our 3cx system. The calls in from outside are bad quality once you hit the digital receptionist. Also If I call the digital receptionist from an internal extension I get the same bad audio quality issues. The machine its running on is a brand new 2008 server 2ghz processor an 2gb of ram. Our network is gigabit and qos has been set for the servers mac address. We all use Grandstream gxp-2000 phones and have also tried the 3cx softphone and all have the same issues. I had a Grandstream PBX and have replaced it with the 3CX system. The Grandstream PBX never had call quality issues it just had feature related issues. I have all the appropriate ports forwarded in the router to the server. Also this server only runs the 3cx system and has the firewall off. By bad quality I mean audio loss, clicking, 2-3 second aaaannnnn then audio comes back. Quality is similar to a bad cell phone call. The server at idle runs 7-13% cpu usage. When I call in the CPU usage goes up to 16-30 %. If you would like to hear the bad audio quality first hand please call our office 401 225 8123. I am at a loss due to the fact that the Grandstream PBX had perfect quality of calls on the same network with the same ip address I can only assume it’s the 3CX server that is the issue, problem is I don’t know how to resolve it. I love the concept of an windows based IP PBX and really want to make this work. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated 8) :lol: :roll: :?: :?:

2. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

hello,

their is problem, one call don't take 16-30 % to CPU, is suppose their is something in your servern that cause your problems. uninstall all unused software, install all service pack, and updates, and try again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

frankri,

Welcome to the forum and thanks a lot for the appreciation of concept :)
    Could you please provide little bit more specific information as requested in http://www.3cx.com/forums/forum-rules-read-to-get-answers-93.html?
    It may help us to provide more specific answers to you.

Few additional questions:
    Do you use virtual machine to run 3CX PBX? (Hyper V, VMware etc.)
    What is the version of server 2008?
    What is the version of 3CX PBX?
    What is the type of web server used by PBX? Is it IIS? Cassini?

About "The server at idle runs 7-13% cpu usage" and "When I call in the CPU usage goes up to 16-30 %" : You can find consumers of CPU using "Reliability and Performance monitor" (see control panel) or task manager.

Could you please post two screenshots of the Task Manager?
    Configure Task Manager to provide following information (columns)
    1. Threads
    2. Handles
    3. Memory- Commit Size
    4. CPU usage

Screenshot 1
    The processes are sorted by name. All "3CX" processes will be at the top of the list.
    Screenshot 2
    The processes are sorted by CPU usage. most "hungry" for CPU will be on top

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. comresource

comresource Member

Is there only an issue with calling into a DR?
    Are calls from phone to phone ok? (If not this would be a QOS issue.)
    Are there any disk intensive proccesses running? (indexing service, defrags)

5. frankri

Do you use virtual machine to run 3CX PBX? (Hyper V, VMware etc.)

We have tried a 2003 server (physical), XP Pro computer (physical) and our current test is on a virtual machine running on a 2008 server guest. The server runs on vmware server with an XP Pro Host OS.

What is the version of server 2008?

Server 2008 standard edition sp1

What is the version of 3CX PBX?

Latest version 7.1.7139.0

What is the type of web server used by PBX? Is it IIS? Cassini?

Cassini

Is there only an issue with calling into a DR?

No the quality issue effects all use of the PBX customers and employees complain they just cannot communicate with the constant loss of audio.

Are calls from phone to phone ok? (If not this would be a QOS issue.)

We don’t call internal extensions so I’m not sure but an internal call to DR produces the same issues. QOS is already set on the servers MAC address.

Are there any disk intensive processes running? (indexing service, defrags)

No this server runs only the 3CX system.

Shot requests are attached

Attached Files:

6. frankri

There is a problem, one call don't take 16-30 % to CPU, is suppose there is something in your server that cause your problems. Uninstall all unused software, install all service pack, and updates, and try again.

The server runs only 3cx and is fully updated, Please see previous post for the previous configurations tested. In addition on the 2 previous physical machines the systems were running IIS. Also all three systems have run on the same configurations, backups and restores were done when a change in system took place.

7. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

This sounds quite familiar to an issue I had where more ram was needed in the server. Before another GB was added services would drop offline, Calls where laggy at best, and anytime someone tried to leave a voice mail the system blue screened. Adding more ram fixed this issues and so far 130+ days of up time.

If your running VMware, Server 2008, and 3CX there simply is not enough ram to make it work, especially if that machine is running DDR400 or slower ram.

8. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

frankri,

You are talking about bad quality of audio on your brand new system (2008 server)... then... say that Grandstream PBX didn't had this problem... then... you specify that your brand system is the test in VMWare environment which runs 2008 server in XP pro environment... then... you mention the 2003 server without any comments related to issue...
    You are talking about 7-13% (16-30%) of CPU usage but there is no CPU usage on screenshots (you can use Reliability and Performance Monitor to track CPU usage in real time)
    Sorry. Personaly, I'm completely confused by this contradictory and incomplete information.

9. frankri

what are you confused about please ask me and I will clear it up.

10. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

1."We have tried a 2003 server (physical), XP Pro computer (physical) and our current test is on a virtual machine running on a 2008 server guest. The server runs on vmware server with an XP Pro Host OS"
    Are there any differences between "2003 server (physical), XP Pro computer (physical)" and "virtual machine running on a 2008 server guest"? (very important)
    2. Did you ever try to run Granstream PBX (which "never had call quality issues it just had feature related issues") on your network environment and on your brand new server which is running on VMWare? (you can ingnore this question)
    3. How did you calculate 7-13% (16-30%) CPU usage? (you can ignore this question)
    4. what is the "brand new 2Ghz 2GB" server? (you can ignore this question)
    5. What is the "Our network is gigabit and qos has been set for the servers mac address"? could you please be more specific? (very important)
    6. Why you cannot answer the question:"Are calls from phone to phone ok?"?
    Why your answer is the "We don’t call internal extensions so I’m not sure but an internal call to DR produces the same issues. QOS is already set on the servers MAC address."? (important)
    7. Why "I can only assume it’s the 3CX server that is the issue" provoke you to write on this forum? (you may ignore this question)

Thanks (in advance) for your answers
    P.S. Please ask me what is wrong in 3CX PBX and "I will clear it up" ;)

11. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

What amount of RAM has been assigned to the Guest OS Server 2008?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.