• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Bandwidth / Call quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

webby

Reaction score
I have 3cx Installed on a Windows XP Pro computer.
I have 2 x Remote extensions (Grandstream 2000) and 4 x Internal Extensions (2 x Grandstream 2010 2 x 2000), I have a VOIP Line from "VOIP Unlimited" the broadband is also provided by Voip Unlimited and has QOS to allow VOIP calls priority, My 3CX is set to only allow 3 Simultaneous calls over the VOIP provider as any more than this (or sometimes just 2 calls) is enough to get bad / delayed / jittery call's.

Clearly I am a low yield user far from the capacity of the 3CX system so why am I struggling so much?
It seems to be a bandwidth issue but my speeds are pretty good Up: 700Kbps Down: 4Mbps
If I use the phone myself out of office hours it all seems to be perfect, but during work hours my staff are moaning about the quality sometimes even if they are the only person on the phone.

My first port of call is to make sure all my data traffic is going over my second BB line, but even if it is not my data usage is limited to a small amount of surfing message boards or looking for phone numbers not Torrents and video streaming!

If people are using 3CX for far larger amounts of phone lines than me with out any problems how are they doing it? surely i don't need another Broad band line to cope with 3 simultaneous phone calls?

Please Help!
Thanks Mark

Hi Mark

Bandwidth varies depending on the protocol used. G711 is the best quality but also the highest bandwidth. It is about 106kps each way.

I know you have 700k up and are also using data on the same broadband. Are you sure you have no virus/spyware etc. on a pc that can be using your data.

How many routers/nat traversals are there on the network?

Is the call quality ok on an internal to internal extension? What about internal to remote extension?

Finally how are you directing traffic to the second BB modem?

I have my 3CX machine plugged directly in to Port 1 of the router connected to the internet. All of my phones and other PC's on the network are connected to a NetGear 25 port switch then in to port 2 of the same router as the 3CX machine.

Im not so concerned about the external extensions, I expected a few problems with these as they are currently connected over BT Broad Band and thus the voice call goes out on the general internet, but my main site where all my business calls come in is connected using the BB of my VOIP provider.
But in answer to your question the call between sites is pretty consistent, but when I transfer an incoming call through to the external extensions quite often I get delayed and or broken voice. I am going to switch the external site on to the the same BB VOIP provider when my BT broadband contract ends.

I will double check for viruses.
I am directing traffic to the 2nd broadband modem as follows:
I have a Cisco RV042 router which has 2 x Modem inputs, I have set the 3CX (Port 1) to go out over My VOIP line and all other trafic (Port 2) to go out over the 2nd BB phone line.

I suggest that you make a number of speed-tests at various times of the day, without any other activity taking place over the ADSL line. This will give you a good idea of the speed in both directions. It is also essential to implement QOS on the router, particularly if the ADSL line is being used for data and voice. I use Draytek 2820 that does the job well.

Voip-unlimited offer their own ADSL service. The advantage is that there is just one set of people to complain to. When I implement VoIP solutions I use VU for the VoIP service and the ADSL so the buck stops with them. They are very good to deal with and help with problems.

I have customers where all the extensions work through VPNs to remote sites. It is fine with no complaints at all. I hope that is some help.

Kind regards
Richard Crabb
http://www.dorsetphonesystems.com
[email protected]

That's good to know Richard.
I already have their BB at my main site and am waiting for my BT contract to expire to install it at my 2nd site, but this is not my concern at the minute, it's my main site where all my business calls come in, so often has jitter or lag.
Also do you find external extensions better over VPN.

I do have QOS set up in my router.

How many phone lines do your typical clients have, because I'm only trying to run 3 or preferably 4 if it can handle it! I don't think I'm asking for a lot over 1 Broadband connection......am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.