Bar code scanner for MAC addresses, entry

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by voip19, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voip19

When I went to the SF 3CX school two weeks ago, someone mentioned when you are setting up a lot of phones that are not set up via auto provisioning, to use a bar code scanner.

Never had my hands on one. Can you scan a bar code on a voip phone and extract the MAC? Can someone explain that process vs sitting there trying to read tiny print and typing it into the 3CX? Simple copy/paste.

We have an account that wants android tablet phones, ie, Grandstream GXV3275 or Fanvil D600s. :shock:

(At least we tested the GS video application that comes on the phone via our 3cx and it does work very slick).

2. ezpc

I do this!

It saves so much time.

They cost anywhere from £20 to £1000+, I find that the cheap ones can work, but are rather hit or miss... I use a wireless one that cost around £300 and is excellent.

You plug it in via USB and it basically just acts as a keyboard, so, put your cursor to the mac field, scan and it will type the code!

Highly recommend.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

We use one very similar to this. http://www.barcodesinc.com/motorola/ds4208.htm

Once installed, you simply make sure that the cursor in in the field you wish to fill-in, then hold the trigger and move the red line over the barcode.

This Brother printer

http://www.brother-usa.com/Labeling_Solutions/ModelDetail/7/pt1230pc/overview#.U71kSEA4f5A

can be used to print any barcodes for phone that don't come with one, but will probably require it in the future. I've picked up a couple on sale for $20 each.

They can also be used for any other inventory requirements

4. voip19

Thanks so much. Will give it one a try.

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Just to add my 2 cents. I keep a list of all phone Mac addresses in an Excel file as well.
    We originally installed under v11 so MyPhone needed the Phone IP To make it dial. So, each phone had a static IP address in my scope. I used the Excel spreadsheet to create the DHCP entry using NETSH on my Windows server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

Craig
    Do you mind sharing the excel file and cmd line you use to import into dhcp?

Thanks!

7. voip19

Bought a wireless one on Ebay. Works like a champ. $40 shipped.

Ebay item number 190956523948

Never realized how easy they are to use. It just enters the Mac in the field and hops to the next field.

Scan just about anything into a Google search. Fun toy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.