• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Basic Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydigia

Reaction score
Hello All 3CXers...

I am a newbie, and have bunch of questions that appreciate your kind comments:

1) is 3CX capable of connecting to my modem (connected to my motherboard, and works, since I use it for receiving/sending faxes) to make calls? Does it have to be specific model or what? I want 3CX to be able to connect to this modem, so that extensions (local and remote) can make calls.

2) what ports must be forwarded from my router to 3cx machine (NATing) so that remote extensions work? This system is used in a country that VoIP is filtered all together, so can ports be changed?

3) can 3CX work on VPN connections?

My final goal is to benefit from my computer back home, and using 3CX, call locally through the modem on that machine, via my remote extensions, and save on international calls by making them local.

Your kind comments are appreciated.

Thank you!
Ali.

mydigia said:
1) is 3CX capable of connecting to my modem (connected to my motherboard, and works, since I use it for receiving/sending faxes) to make calls? Does it have to be specific model or what? I want 3CX to be able to connect to this modem, so that extensions (local and remote) can make calls.

No, you can't use a computer modem, you will require a SIP Gateway to connect to the local PSTN line.(look up an SPA-3102)

2) what ports must be forwarded from my router to 3cx machine (NATing) so that remote extensions work? This system is used in a country that VoIP is filtered all together, so can ports be changed?

You could make use of the 3CX Tunnel feature to connect to the 3CX Windows phone running on a remote laptop. It uses a single port (default 5090) to communicate over. I believe that can be changed.

3) can 3CX work on VPN connections?

Yes, you can run an extension, back to 3CX over a VPN connection.

My final goal is to benefit from my computer back home, and using 3CX, call locally through the modem on that machine, via my remote extensions, and save on international calls by making them local.

You can, by registering a remote extension (3CX phone) on a laptop. You can then make calls to a local number from anywhere in the world, BUT, you will need a Gateway , and you will have to be able to penetrate any port blocking that your ISP is imposing.

Hi leejor,

Many thanks for your reply.

So, basically to understand this clearly, a SIP gateway that connects via FXS to my analog line, and then the other hand how 3CX will connect to the SIP Gateway as an OUTBOUND/Provider? SIP Gateway connected to the same network that the 3CX installation is, and then adding SIP gateway as a gateway provider?

What SIP Gateways are compatible, or in other words, what "features" should the SIP Gateway have, in order to accomplish this. Knowing this, might help me to find some inexpensive Chinese made ones, that will just work, and gets me there.

Thank you,
Ali.

mydigia said:
So, basically to understand this clearly, a SIP gateway that connects via FXS to my analog line, and then the other hand how 3CX will connect to the SIP Gateway as an OUTBOUND/Provider? SIP Gateway connected to the same network that the 3CX installation is, and then adding SIP gateway as a gateway provider?

The Gateway usually does go on the same network as your 3CX installation, is plugged into the local phone line and registered as a trunk on 3CX.

A Gateway (FXO port, Foreign Exchange Office), is what connects to a central office, your current phone line. There are a number of single and multi line units out there. Linksys/Cisco and Grandstream make some of the least expensive single line devices that are reliable.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/support/

An FXS (Foreign Exchange Station), otherwise known as an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) is what you plug a telephone (extension) into.

mydigia said:
What SIP Gateways are compatible, or in other words, what "features" should the SIP Gateway have, in order to accomplish this. Knowing this, might help me to find some inexpensive Chinese made ones, that will just work, and gets me there.

It has to be SIP compatible. While you may find some cheap, no-name gateways that may work, you will get what you pay for in sound quality, features, reliability and ease of set-up. There are a number of devices that have been tested to work with 3CX, and I would suggest that before you buy anything, you may want to run your choice by this forum. Others may have had a good or bad experience with the device you are planning to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.