Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Basic setup question regarding selecting a phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dreamscape, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamscape

Hi

We are a small company and I am looking at using 3CX to manage our calls. Currently there are only two of us but this is likely to increase in the near future.

Currently we have a standard PSTN line and a skype name that I have setup with 3CX and tested with 3CXPhone and Android. I would like to start using SIP so we can have two extra regional numbers.

So as yet I haven't purchased any proper IP phones and I only really need 2. Do I need a phone with four lines or just one? If two numbers (or more), call at the same time, is it 3CX that handles thw queue or the phone?

I apologise that this is such a basic question and if anyone could point me in the direction of where to learn more I would be very grateful

Kind regards

Mark

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you expect to expand in the future you should probably purchase sets that will allow for growth. The difference in cost between a two line or four line set is not that much. You may only use two of the keys for the time being, but, more keys gives you flexibility especially if you decide to add more trunks, or sets, later.

You can set up a queue that will hold callers until you are off an existing call, or, a call can ring in on a second key requiring you to put the first caller on hold. It all depends on your needs and how you configure 3CX.

3. dannybrook

I would recommend the Cisco SPA504G...they're available for about $125 each.

Leejors is correct, the PBX gives you many flexible options for managing call flow. You can just allow calls to hit your phone and you will manage them using the line keys, or you can use the queues.

The other thing to consider when selecting a SIP trunk vendor is how they are delivering the service, I.E., unlimited usage, but only 1 call path, or block minutes and unlimited call paths.

Nexvortex offers both as well as a per minute plan with unlimited call paths. I recommend their $30/mon business plan. You get 1 DID, unlimited inbound, and 2000 outbound minutes.

4. dreamscape

Thanks for your responses,

It's good to know that I have been looking in the right direction i.e the SPA504g.

Thanks for both of your answers, that answers my question.

Kind regards

Mark

5. willow

willow Member

The Cisco's are good phones but the problem with them becomes support for new firmware and other things. You will need a smartnet contract for the phones and they can be a real pain to deal with. I recommend the Grandstream or yealink phones. The firmware for new sets is easy to download and support is normally pretty decent.
    As for voip providers you really need to determine what type of server you want. there are the pay per minute types which are good for startup companies or people that do not rely heavily on outward calling. or there are the per channel types that give you unlimited incoming and outgoing an a per channel basis. Personal I use the per minute ones because i do not do alot of outbound calling mostly incoming calls from customers. I have seen people eat up outgoing minutes and time and that makes it more expensive then the per channel types.
    We sell the sip trunking and have 6 servers around the US to handle various locations. we also offer packages and local number most anywhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.