Beginning pointers proposed site installation

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cctgroup, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cctgroup

Hi Guys,

I've had a quick browse through some of the articles but I cant see anything that jumps out at me to tell me what I need, that may be more to do with my lack of knowledge on VoIP jargon more than anything else. But i'll explain what I need and that should be enough for you to point me in the right direction.

Our main office is unattended for the majority of the working day but we still need to answer phone calls. At first I had our landline diverted to a mobile(cell) phone so we still recieved all our phone calls. After being ripped off by our phone supplier. We went down the path of installing an Asterisk box so that calls came in over the analog lines and was then answered by a voice saying thank you for calling please wait while you are transferred to a person. It then dialed the mobile number using a VoIP phone server. This worked reasonably well at first, then we started having issues where it would not disconnect after the call ended resulting in an engaged signal until someone rebooted the box. I like the idea of 3CX because its Windows based and reasonably easy to allow remote access to in XP or 7 environment. I understand and accept my clone digium card is no longer useful and to get to the point of my post.

- What device do I need to connect an analog phone line to 3CX so the call can be then connected to a VoIP service?
    - Can I setup times so outside of ours it diverts to voice mail?
    - Does voice mail integrate with Exchange 2007 unified messaging?
    - Is there a device available that will enable me to directly connect a mobile(cell) phone to the 3CX server, even if its a USB adapter that takes a sim card or something.
    - Does 3CX run virtually on ESX or vSphere in a high-availabilty environment?

2. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

Hi, Welcome to the 3CX Forum

1. You would need a PSTN Gateway such as Linksys 3102 which will allow you to connect your normal phone line to 3CX
    2. Yes 3CX does support pre-defined business hours, in such that outside of the working hours, it will divert to Voice Mail, External Number etc
    3. 3CX fully supports Exchange 2007 Intergration
    4. I believe you can get a GSM Gateway what will allow you to connect 3CX to a Mobile Phone network, never configured on of theses before so can’t give any advise in what to get etc.
    5. Yes 3CX can run on a virtual PC / server, however we have not tested it with ESX or vSphere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cctgroup

Thanks very much. Those are readily available so thats nice an easy.

Is there any guides on the web to configure them to work with 3CX?
    Also, what OS is recommended. I want this solution to be fire and forget so I'm leaning towards a Server version because they tend to have less problems than XP/Vista/7.

4. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

2008 Server (Standard Edition) will do the job

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Hi,

documentation - http://www.3cx.com/blog/support/
    You can find more information on http://www.3cx.com/blog/

Both links are at the top of this page. ("SUPPORT" and "BLOG")

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/supported-windows-versions/

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.