Best choices for WiFi 3CX compatible IP Phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by afinite, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afinite

Hi
    I'm just wondering what WiFi (not dect) handsets are recommended for use with 3CX. Tips welcome.

Thanks

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that there were some desk sets that had an add-on, wifi module. Is that the sort of thing you are after?

3. bardissi

bardissi Member

I dont think there are any "supported" wifi phones but give it a try.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are sets such as the Cisco SPA525G, but, for about $20 there are devices such as the TP Link TL-WR702N, that will make any device wireless. They are small and in some cases can be attached to the underside of a phone.
    I have used them on several devices with no problems.

5. afinite

Hi
    Sorry, I meant an actual WiFi handset. Not the ability to WiFi enable a normal wired handset. The idea is that users carry it around the way they would a DECT phone, but better.
    We will experiment with the app with notifications, but assume this doesn't "RING" when the handset is in a standby state, so not sure if this is going to work out.

6. way

way

Hi

I don't believe 3CX avidly supports any VoWIFI cordless phones, but I have seen that Polycomm/Spectralink and unidata both supply these types of phones. To be honest, android and IOS smartphones will also support VoWIFI and if they are on the internal network and you can use push notifications to ensure they will 'wake up' when a call comes in.

One thing I cannot stress enough, however, is that you need to have a unified wireless setup. If your access points don't have a central controller to manage roaming between access points, you'll find that calls will go silent for 5-10 seconds when a WiFi IP phone moves from one access point to another. Most wifi-enabled devices tend to hold onto one access point until the connection is completely lost before moving to another and this is why you would get moments of silence when moving about.

7. jasit

jasit New Member

We use an IPod 5 with a Bluetooth headset, our receptionist loves it, she can walk around the office, receive email, we added all the employees with their extentions and their cell numbers and she has no problems doing transfers, pages, and parks.

8. afinite

Thanks
    Our main problem is that iOS devices don't "ring", they just get a bong alert from the push notification. Android handsets actually ring though, even when locked provided the app is running. I think we're going to recommend Moto G android handsets for this scenario on this basis.

9. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

If you need a portable solution, DECT still rules, but as others pointed out you will be well served with any IoS or Android device. WiFi also presents an additional challenge, roaming between APs. Most do NOT support it. Take a look at the Ubiquiti Unify.

If you are talking about a WiFi deskphone, the Grandstream GXV3140, GXP2200 w. WiFi dongle will do. I lopve the Snom M3 (Dect) with repeaters.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

UniData WPU-7800 is a Wi-Fi SIp enabled cordless phone.

It works reasonably well, but as others have pointed out, DECT is a more robust solution. It is not the easiest thing to provision, the instructions are also somewhat lacking and finding the latest firmware was painful, but at the end of the day it does work.

However, you will need a very robust and stable Wi-Fi network to get the best out of the device. Roaming, if needed, will likely prove to be less than hoped for as has been suggested by others above and for the right reasons.

I use it remotely at the house from the 3CX install at the office so I can sit in the easy chair during the evening and still handle calls while watching TV....if I want. It works pretty well with my single AP.

I only got the device to satisfy my own curiosity and I found one at ABP Tech that had been returned or was a demo and had been steeply discounted. But as I indicated earlier, the DECT handhelds I have do indeed get far more range/coverage than the Wi-Fi and this is largely due to the frequencies in use, obstructions and other issues that affect Wi-Fi more so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.