• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Best codec to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutti_wilson

Forum User
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of the codecs offered by the free version of 3CX? I am planning on going to the small business version which i understand has some non-free codecs that the free version obviously can't have. I just got a 3CX server up and running with softphones and in a couple days some hardware handsets (Aastra 480i).

I am noticing some delay when connecting off-site, which won't be happening much, but nonetheless, and also echo when using the 3cx client on the internal network calling out or in. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm not the expert here, but G.729 provides a much higher compression of data (standard G.729 uses only 8kbps while G.711 uses 64kbps). That said, I believe that off-site calls can benefit from the use of G.729 since it takes much less bandwidth than the other codecs available on the free version.

There are other codecs available on the free version that also use low bandwidth (Speex, for example, can use from 2kbps to 44kbps), but it seems they don't provide the same quality as G.729.

You may try to take a look on the following Wikipedia article and see for yourself the characteristics of each codec:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_codecs

There are also other things to consider besides bandwidth usage, like sound quality, but I don't know for sure what would be the differences here. Maybe someone else will be able to help you with more information.

So if my Aastra 480i supports the g711 and g729 codecs and i want to use GSM for remote clients how do I prioritize them? Do i put GSM at the top of the list and the others below, or what?

Most phones,
You list the codecs in the order you want them to be tried.
If you don't want to use a articular codec then ensure it's not in the list.

Some codecs may be repeated on some phones.

Andy

Ok, that's how i thought it would work. Easy enough. Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.