Best low-cost router for 3CX?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dvelleux, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvelleux

Folks.

I am thinking of a used Linksys WRT54G router for a 3CX install, but is there a router out there available for USD $100.00 that is better for VoIP use? Inquiring minds want to know...

2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

No - this router is not recommended. When I checked this device it could not do proper port forwarding. (check again because these things might be fixed with a fimware update)

Buy a router that does proper port forwarding.
    Buy a router that does not have some sip server inside.

I am not aware of low cost routers to use for business use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Coretech

I have used the Cisco RVS4000 for some smaller businesses and they have worked very well. It is easy to setup and easy to program port forwarding. We have them at sites that have 10-12 remote phones and up to 16 webcams that stream to their website. We do occasionally have to reset them, but what do you expect for around $100?

4. pmacleod

Around that price range I've used a D-Link DSL-2740B ADSL modem/router/wireless with 3CX behind it and it works OK. Port forwarding works as expected, however if you want to get really clever with QoS you won't be doing it with this box. It's a tick-box to activate and not much more than that.

I haven't loaded it right up with a big number of extensions, so it might start to fall down with higher extension numbers but really you shouldn't be using a consumer box like this at larger sites anyway. Cisco ASA5500 firewalls are a lot cheaper than they used to be, and will do a far better job for a fair price.

Cheers,
    Paul.

5. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

D-Link DIR-655 has always been my recommendation in that size. Any larger and I go with the Cisco SA520

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I use a couple of WRT54G's loaded with DD-WRT firmware (VPN) (two different release versions) and I've never had any issues. The DD-WRT firmware (various versions) gives you a lot of options that are missing on the original Linksys firmware. The WRT54GL is the current Linux version ready for a firmware "upgrade"

7. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

leejor

If you confirm this is a good router its ok. When we were testing this a year ago or so, it could not do port forwarding. But I understand that this was a long time ago and maybe firmware releases fixed the issue.

3CX doesnt need a specific router behind it - I have seen 3cX working behind a lot of routers - ranging from cisco, linksys, netgears, fireboxes etc etc.

3 things are important only and a must..

a) Must not have a sip server inside - example a fritzbox has a sip server inside. this means that 5060 is locked by the router itself. this also means that you have to change the default sip port of 3cx to something else.

b) Attention to sip alg's. NOt all sip alg's do what they are expected in sip. Example cisco alg's with 3CX Berhind them must be disabled. Other alg's must be enabled. it is best to use a router which does not have / contain sip alg feature.

c) Port forwarding - the router must be able to do proper port forwarding. (or dynamic port mapping but port forwarding is better). So we need to have a scenario where INTERNAL IP:5060 is mapped directly in both directions to EXT IP :5060, etc etc

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The WRT54G has gone through many versions over the past years. I picked up a few of the early releases because the could be re-flashed to the DD-WRT firmware. I never did use them with the original Linksys load.

Other than the current Linux version (WRT54GL), I suspect (but haven't confirmed) that that range has been replaced with the current Cisco branded models. Since some of the later releases of the WRT54G, such as Version 7,8 (and higher?), came out not that long ago, I would be shocked to find that they didn't have port forwarding. The DD-WRT VPN load allows the router to be a PPTP VPN server, which , in turn, allows secure remote access to 3CX, or anything else on the network. A feature only found on some very expensive routers.

9. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Thanks for this info. I will have a look at this router again - maybe a firmware upgrade will do. thanks for the info.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Certain versions (the earlier ones primarily) are much better for running firmware other than that from Linksys. In some of the newer versions they changed the processor and reduced the memory size. Some can still be "upgraded" but the features are somewhat restricted. There are other makes that can also be flashed with the DD-WRT firmware. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

11. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Low cost... Routerboard 750G - 680MHz. 5 GBe ports, pleanty of power and easy VPN and EoIP

12. bullan

I have a netgear 3700 and works perfectly; and the QoS service is great working exacly like it should;
    under 100 dollars

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.