• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

best practice - extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Langer

Reaction score
hello I am new to 3cx and would need to know a few things in means of best practice

We do have a few colleagues working at a computer. The will have:

An soft client (Windows 10)
An IP Phone (Snom 345)
An soft client on their smart phone
eventualle even a Dect phone

Does it make sense to give every “phone” its own number so they can be reached on specific device? All extensions could be than put into a ring group. Or is it smarter to put all devises of one user on the same extension? I all phones under one extension how can the user manage behaiviour of the soft phones and the hard phones?

maybe just a crazy newbe question - thanks for your help

If they plan on using Voicemail, then they will probably want all devices on the same extension number. Giving each it's own number allows someone to dial that device directly, but how would the caller know which number to call? Yes, the ring group will work, but if unanswered, which VM does the caller go to? If they only want to receive VM notification on one phone, then, perhaps.

Explain "manage behaviour", what do they want to be able to do?

Thank you leejor

The idea is not to promote the internal number of each phone externaly. Direct dial numbers to desks are handed out to many partners while i. e. the mobile phone numbers or 3cx extensions on mobile phone are not distributed widely. If I am traveling I want that important persons can reach me on my mobile while normal stuff would go to the mailbox. The US does offer nice wifi coverage in example so our staff could log in with their mobile devices but for sure do not want to receive calls of normal contacts out of Europe in the middle of the night.
One side we want to keep it simple on the other side we would like to keep options.
Probably it will make sense to use the same extension for the hard phone on the desk and the windows soft phone as they stand beside of each other anyhow. Dect phones on seperate extension (use a forward to the Dect extension from the wired hard phone after 15 seconds eventually)
Can a soft client have multiple extensions which I can log in and out?
of course we are planning on voice mail > forward by mail to the related user. can a ring group have a voice box?

A lot can be accomplished using the forwarding and other options of the extension. This includes screening calls by caller ID and different behaviour for internal and external calls. You need to really think about how you want the call flow. Keep in mind that having to activate or de-activate a feature to change routing, can be a bit much for some users to remember to do. It is usually best if it requires as little user input as possible.

Can a soft client have multiple extensions which I can log in and out?

The windows client, perhaps, haven't used it myself, I don't believe the Android client can, haven't seen the option.

of course we are planning on voice mail > forward by mail to the related user. can a ring group have a voice box?

If unanswered after a given time, it can forward to a mailbox, and that extension will receive notification of a new message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.