Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Best practice for user with multiple phones

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dotnetfabrik, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotnetfabrik

Hi together,

I'm asking for your experience: consider having an user who has two office seats (e.g. one in the dev-office and one in the management-office). Needless to say, that he does not carry his phone from one office to the other and back again.
    So he has two phone-devices (let's say: a GXP2000 and a GXP2120).
    This is where my question begins:
    - should I create two different extensions in 3CX (afaik the only way to make provisioning with the different phone models work)?
    or
    - should I put them both on one extension?

What would you do?

Thanksalot!
    Sascha

2. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

Simply put them both on one extension. They will both ring simultaniously.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dotnetfabrik

Hi Mark,

thanks for your answer, but what about provisioning?
    We would have two different phone-types on the same account?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I suppose you could provision them manually if you wanted to. But any sort of auto-provision should be based on the MAC address or IP of the device(s), not just the extension number.

5. dotnetfabrik

Yes, but I can only put one single phone into one single extension-item.
    Therefore, auto-provisioning is not possible?!

6. dannybrook

Thats correct, only one auto-generated provisioning template per extension. What you need to do is open the folder which contains the provisioning templates, and make a copy of both files associated with the MAC address of handset 1, the second copy should be named using the MAC address of handset 2. All 3CX does is auto-generate the provisioning files, if you wanted, you could make your own files and as long as they match the proper format, your phone will load the file.

7. jnz

jnz

To keep it simple why not create a ring group for 2 different extensions and have the ring group number be the persons extension number.... make both extensions ring at the same time. If the person is a member of another queue or ring group add both extensions into the queue or group. This way it will be a simple set up......

The only draw back to this would be in the use of the 3cx assistant it would be hard to use because of multiple extensions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.