Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Best router for remote site

Discussion in 'Windows' started by aftermarket, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aftermarket

just upgraded to a belkin n1 adsl router and it doesnt work with our cisco phones for voip, so we've resorted back to our old buggy router which crashes all the time. we were wondering if anyone could recommend a router which they know works with 3cx when at a remote site as well as cisco 504g phones. thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Most newer routers should have no problem at a remote site. In many cases you won't even need to set up port forwarding, with each set having it's own, unique, port number. What specific issue do you have with the Belkin router? Is it a model that has known issues with VoIP?

3. mfm

mfm Active Member

In our experience, we have found out that the cheaper the router the better it seems to work with SIP, many routers with SIP helpers tend to cause issues, so try and get one with little or no SIP capabilites at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mhanson

mhanson New Member

I have had the same experience as Mark. For every Sonic Wall I see fail, I see about 50 Linksys routers costing around 40 dollars work flawlessly.

5. aftermarket

thanks for that, we've just gone and bought a cheap router and taken back our expensive one. we've found that if we use the 3cx tunnel proxy program the phones work alot better, just annoying that we cant connect them directly

6. zman574

I litterly had the same issue with the same phones until about an hour ago. I purchased a WRN2000V2 and had to open the NAT up on the router to get more than one phone to work at a remote site.... its a bit tricky at first but once you get it up it will work great. I can help you with settings if you need it, I am testing 4 more of these routers tomorrow all referbs purchased online check out tiger direct and you should be able to get some of these referbs..... they do limit you to 5 at time but with next day air it was less than 210.00 US for 5 of them. Let me know if you need this info and I will post it for you.

7. mylove4life

mylove4life New Member

I have installed Sonicwall routers/firewalls for years and never had a issue with VOIP. What problem are you seeing with them?

8. mhanson

mhanson New Member

I have seen around 10-15 different sites where they had an existing Sonicwall, and with remote sites, there is just weird issues with the NAT/Forwarding. They will forward every single port that is needed, and traffic will either make it through on the wrong port, or not at all. The "Proper" settings just dont cut it for them. I'm sure this is some form of fix, as some can make it work, but Sonicwall doesn't seem to know it themselves.

9. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello,
    LinkSys AM200 works nice at remote side
    also dlink
    The Secret in full vcone nat

10. aftermarket

thanks, we've ended up going for a netgear one and it seems to work well.......however we've introduced a second phone to the remote site and it registers ok but theres no audio either way, any ideas? do i need to open mor ports?

11. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Is it an FSV318?

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A second phone at a site can cause router confusion if the same voice ports are being re-used with a device on a second IP. I've had that problem on occasion.

13. aftermarket

how did you get round it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.