best way to switch providers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by craigreilly, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Are you going VoIP?
    create voip account
    add as a provider in 3cx
    setup outbound rules in 3cx
    setup inbound rules in 3cx
    port the numbers with new provider
    do not cancel service with old provider until the process is 100% complete. most of the time, if this is the only thing on the service, it will terminate on its own.
    do not disconnect the old lines until the port is complete.
    -----------------
    Are you going with Gateway and need to use the ports for new PSTN lines?
    Add Call Forwarding to old main line
    Add new phone lines and wait for service call to punch them down.
    test the new lines
    After hours, forward calls from old service to new service
    reconfigure gateway for the new lines
    port the numbers with the new provider
    do not cancel service with old provider until the process is 100% complete. most of the time, if this is the only thing on the service, it will terminate on its own.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nterrell

Yes keep your current gateway connected then find a good SIP provider (i am using nexvortex personally) and port the numbers to them. A good provider will allow you to schedule a date and time for your port meaning you will have minimal / less impactful downtime.

3. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

I second that NexVortex is great to work with. Give them a call and ask for Luke great guy.

So the way it works is DONT cancel anything with comcast at this point.
    Contact a voip carrier "NexVortex" setup an account.
    Setup that account in 3CX. You will need to setup port forwarding on your firewall to allow the audio from NexVortex to your 3CX.
    Once you got it setup you can test outbound calling to make sure it is working.

If everything is good on outbound calling then on your 3CX portal setup a port.
    This will take your number from Comcast to NexVortex. "This is why you don't want to cancel anything until the number is moved"

It normally takes a week to two weeks for your number to move from Comcast to NexVortex. Most of the time its around the week time.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like farther help with this. Id be more then happy to give you a hand with getting an account setup and getting your port forwarding working. I've done lots of ports problem free :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. craigreilly

Exactly what I was getting at above. Do not remove anything. Simply add VoIP service to test.

Just as an FYI - Nexvortex has had several outages in the last 3 months and people jumping ship. I am not saying your experience will be the same, but do your homework. Many of them let you try an account without commitments. Ensure they are an approved provider in 3cx for the best experience.

<I do not work for, nor do I represent, any VoIP carrier.>

5. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

@Craig... and another outage today...

6. craigreilly

All I can do is lead them to the water. I can not make them drink it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.