• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Best wifi phone for Multiple WAP environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCHOSP

Reaction score
I will admit, I am a VOIP newbie! I have been messing around with 3CX (free edition) and 2 Linksys WIP-330 wifi phones. My wireless network is only one SSID, but has about 14 WAP's around the building and on different floors. I believe I have more than ample wireless coverage in the areas I am testing. I am having an issue with the WIP-330 staying connected to the AP it initially assosiated with until it gets out of range, then it drops the call. You then have to either reboot the phone, or wait until it re-scans and finds the network again via another access point. Obviously, this won't work! My question is: I was wanting to know if anyone out there has had similar issues, and what model wifi phones are the best for this type of enviroment. My access points are all Cisco Aironet 1200's using 802.11G. 128-bit WEP security, and some of the WAP's have the SSID hidden.( I would like to keep it that way.) I also have local MAC address authentication activated on each WAP. I have ensured that the phones' MAC addresses are in each WAP.

I am trying to get this working so I can propose purchasing the Pro edition of 3CX, a VOIP gateway, and more phones. This is for a communications project that requires communication anywhere in the building at any time.

Thanks,

David

Does a laptop stay connected the entire time? What I'd recommend is turning off all the security and trying it. If it still doesn't work does it stop at a certain AP or is it all of them? If it does work then try turning a low end security and see if still works. Maybe it's too secure?
Also check the firmware of the 330 - make sure it's up to date.

Ive never used and dont know much about the pones you are using, but we use the Pirreli Broadband phones and they seem to work well. we have also implemented Hitachi phones in an environment similar to yours for a customer and they seemed to work pretty well. I think both phones are also dual band (I know the pirelli's are), so you can set them to use wifi when available and GSM from a cell phone provider when wifi is not available, so they can double as your cell phone. the pirelli's have color screens where as the hitachi's do not, but the hitachi's are better about recognizing a preconfigured wifi network and automatically connecting whereas on the pirelli you have to manually select the network from a list of profiles, so if you take it home you have to select the home profile when you get there to connet to your home wifi network, then when you go back to work you have to change it back to office. other than that I like both phones.

PCHOSP
have you tried lately to connect the Linksys WIM330? i just got one as well and i am having only one way audio. it appears that a stun setting is needed for it to work. thats unless its all internal (i.e. ipbx, wim330 are all under same subnet).

I've got a Pirelli dp-l10, for roaming. I'd recommend it. They have no problem at all with 4 different wifi area, from different manufactures.
If your interest let me know and in the Uk let me know if you want to buy any.

Sorry to semi-threadjack, but we have similar situation - need to roam across wifi networks. Any input on the SNOM M3?

Thanks.

i got the WIP-330 working with the system. It sounds great. the MWI even works! the snom i'm not sure. the biggest problem is the availablity of the wi-fi and hand-offs.

treb said:
Sorry to semi-threadjack, but we have similar situation - need to roam across wifi networks. Any input on the SNOM M3?

Thanks.

M3 isnt a wifi phone, it uses DECT, i.e. radio waves to transmit so you need base stations everywhere.

Yes, sorry. Should have been more clear. Was interested in roaming between DECT stations. There are DECT repeaters out there, but I don't have any experience with them. Kind of a strange solution, but at the same time, possibly less wifi 801.xx hassle. Although ,those DECT repeaters aren't cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWinker
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.