Better export of contacts to deskphones

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Stefan Löwe, Jan 20, 2018.

Better export of contacts to deskphones 5 5 10votes
5/5, 10 votes

1. Stefan Löwe

Dear 3CX-Team,

3CX has a great contact management and it works fantastic with webclient and softphone. But desk phones are not dead (not yet ...) and your export to them is broken.

1st: export mix up first name and last name.

2nd: export only containes the phone number that is entered as "mobile". If mobile is empty, the export contains a contact without any phone number. This is very useless for a phone. If a mobile number is entered, you cannot dial business or home number from desk phone. If you are called from business or home number, the phones doesn't show the caller name, because the phone doesn't know the number.

No, it is not a solution to put the business number into the mobile field if you like to use both numbers or if you import them from Exchange/Outlook/CRM.

So please export all (or a least more than one) numbers from contacts. For example Grandstream phones support three numbers, yealink phones more than enough (I stopped testing after 10 numbers).

3rd: Queues are not exported. Okay, maybe sometimes they are unwanted to be exported. Maybe you can create a setting ("Do not show queue in 3CX company phonebook") as used for the extensions.

Thanks a lot.

Keep on your good work!

Stefan

3CXDude and jed like this.
  2. Luca Wullschelger

Dear 3CX Team,
    I totally agree with Stefan and its request. We are implementing 3CX right now and we decided for Yealink T48S and T46S IP phones (great phones full of nice features and settings). But we had this bad surprise regarding Contacts and Phonebook exportation.

We implemented ODBC connection to a DB that we populate from 5 different ERPs and we handle First, Last, Company names and we export Mobile and Business numbers too.
    On the 3CX Client this works nicely and every field can be searched without problems.
    On the Yealink phone it's just a disaster !

- empty contacts because they have only Business number in 3CX
    - Company name disappears
    - First and Last name mixed and inverted

I looked more in details the XML that you generate for yealink Phonebooks and it looks really simple. Adding all provided numbers in the 3CX Contacs is a trivial operation you can do in 10 minutes of coding (I was a developper in my live).

The easy and 5 minutes solution is to fix the code for exporting the XML file.

The worst is that to fix now the problem I had to move all numbers into the Mobile field and on the 3CX Client now it looks ugly and nonsense.

This is not a feature request or even an Idea, this is for me a BUG reporting that could be easily fix within the next release.

Thanks to consider this with priority, I love the 3CX and would like to continue to think like this and not like 3CX is implenting only for the Web and for it's own client.

Thanks

Luca Wullschleger

CTO Wullschleger Group

info@matic-tec.de likes this.
  3. info@matic-tec.de

Exactly. I tell this 3CX since many years.

Luca Wullschelger likes this.
  4. Luca Wullschelger

I received the following response from the 3CX support team. Nice solution for a bad integration bug request

Hello Luca Wullschleger,

The "Mobile" Number is used universally as not all IP phones/brands can accept more than one number per contact, you should see the same behaviour for other Phonebooks also e.g Snom if you add a number in "Home" this will not be included in the Snom Phonebook.

C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\XXXXXXXX

My consideration:
    Comparing Snom to Yealink is like comparing Tesla to a fuel car... both have 4 wheels but are running completely different inside...

What do you think about it ? Community, please help the Yealink users to improve the integration (which by the way is reported to be 100% compatible, not true..) implementing this Idea soon !

5. Luca Wullschelger

My answer to 3CX
    Hi Nikos,
    you gave me an answer which I can accept but I still consider that this could be an easy fix making lot of Yealink customer happy…
    Sad that the 3CX team is only going in the Web direction…. this is common for every "modern" projects but I still think that physical devices are alive and will survive a lot longer than what people think….. not every business or every company is behind a computer the whole day… there are out there in the world still people doing manual work with big fingers and they need phones with the power of new technology… the technology is there and is called 3CX, but the phones are useless or badly used in the actual state.
    Hoping you will consider my ideas with your colleague and will reconsider the request
    Best regards

6. Stefan Löwe

Hello everybody,

I tried to create a better export on my own ... and was successful.

Now I have an export for Grandstreams and Yealinks which reads contacts from 3CX-Database. Yes, it is unsupported. But it works.

Grandstream export contains:
    • first name and last name in proper order
    • company name from contacts or group name(s) from internal extensions
    • contact photo
    • THREE phone numbers (office, home, mobile) from the corresponding contact field!
    • internal queues

This is very next to the maximum.

Yealink Export is not on the same level, because these devices doesn't support some features like photo from external server or even a company name. But it is much better than before:
    • first name and last name in proper order
    • EVERY phone number ist exported. But Yealink doesn't distinguishing in office, home, mobile and so one. Therefor all phone numbers are listet without description.
    • internal queues

So you can see, it's possible to differ the possibilties of the devices. There is no need to stay on the lowest common denominator.

Ok, this took me more than 5 minutes. Round about 5 hours.

If I can do this, 3CX can do this as well. I'm sure. Keep on guys! ;-)

I'll add some screenshots. Maybe at the end of the next week.

Greetings.

Stefan

#6 Stefan Löwe, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. Luca Wullschelger

Hi Stefan, do you plan to share your implementation ? This could help the entire 3CX community !! Thanks
    Luca W.

8. Stefan Löwe

Here they are.

At first contact at webclient editor:
    [​IMG]

Second: exported contact details at Grandstream GXP2140:
    [​IMG]

And at least contact details at Yealink T46S:
    [​IMG]

Now it's your turn, 3CX ;-) It's not to hard to implement this on your own. Keep on! Thanks.

Stefan

9. Stefan Löwe

Hi Luca, at the moment it's not possible to share.

There would be some options:

1st - Open Source. But my code uses some internal libraries I can not distribute.

2nd - Sell as a product. To risky due the unsupported way I access the contact datas at 3CX. The price would need to be higher than the price for 3CX ;-) For example: Version 15.5 SP 3 released last week has a more restricted access to the 3CX-database. Still possible, but more limited. Please notice: we are a 3CX customer, not a partner or service provider and we have limited ressources for software development.

3rd - Open Service. Not really an option. It would need access to your 3CX-Database. Bad Network security, bad data security. As consultant I have to say: never ever!

The very best and only way is: 3CX implements this on there own. It is very easy, if you now what a dozen of if-then-elses can do ;-)

Stefan

10. Luca Wullschelger

Thanks anyway :)

11. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

And to add to this - why are Extension Mobile numbers not automatically used for inbound caller id lookup - or added to a phones directory?
    I have to create every users mobile number under Contacts and add twice when we add a new user.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...