Bilingual System (En-Fr Cdn) ???

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by patrickrivard, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickrivard

patrickrivard New Member

Being located in Canada, a Bilingual Contry, we presently have a Nortel Networks Phone System with a Standard Bilingual (En-Fr Cdn), American English and Canadian French, CallPilot voicemail.
    We are presently looking into upgrading to an IPPBX but...
    Could anyone please let me know if 3CX offers a Bilingual (En-Fr Cdn) System?

Thank you,

2. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

I'm also located in Canada (in Quebec more precisely) and I'm in the exact same situation as you. Here's what I have noticed in 3CX about that subject...

3CX client can be configured in English or in French, it's computer based.

3CX server is a bit more complicated... When you log-in to the Web interface, you can chose from english or french or whatever you like.

But for the language used by the server for prompts like voice mail, only one language can be used (unless it changed in V6).

So, having a multi-lingual system is possible, but not 100% possible...

Just by curiosity, what multilingual feature did you wanted to have?

3. patrickrivard

patrickrivard New Member

Sacha, we are also in Quebec. The reason for the bilingual system is to be able to get prompts in either language depending on the caller's choice of language from the bigginning of the menu prompt. Like "Welcome to ABC inc. for English press 1 for French press 2" so if the caller presses 2 it then points the system to all voice prompt in French, viceversa. This is mendatory for us actually not only for us but for every Canadian Corporation that wants to play by the rules, Canadian Bilingualism is a law.
    If 3CX does not offer it, it is probably one of the only we know that does not. All of the other (North American) PBX we know offers it in English and Canadian French...
    Hopefully this option is user selectable but we just haven't found it yet...

It would be greatly appreciated if someone from 3CX would take the time to reply to this question.

Thank you

4. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

I see... Then what you seek is possible...

You will need to create many digital receptionnist then (I'll use random extension numbers for example).

You first create digital receptionnist 100 that tells "Welcome to ABC inc. For service in English, press 1. Pour le service en Français, faites le 2." Button 1 transfers to digital receptionist 101 with English prompts and Button 2 transfers to digital receptionnist 102 with French prompts.

But the only problem I see by doing it that way is that if a user choses to leave voice message to someone, there is only 1 single language available (defined in 3CX Server).

My system is currently completely in French, but I would have made it bilingual if the feature would have been available. Hopefully this is going to be taken in account in the future (not only for English/French, but for any language supported by 3CX if possible).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.