• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Blacklist (block) a phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

intmor

Reaction score
There is little doubt I am missing something simple here, but regardless, I am missing it.

Simply put, we want to block some phone numbers from being able to ring through to our users. We would prefer that when a caller of a blocked number calls they get a busy signal. I have entered numbers in the 'blacklist' list node in the 3CX console but that seems to have no effect.

Advice? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Make an inbound rule for the provider and set incoming calls for a reasonable amount of numbers to be disconnected (this will send back busy tone).

Regards

I put numbers in the blacklist and they are not answered/do not ring, which is what I prefer. Who is more likely to call back, someone who thinks you are on the phone, or someone who thinks there is no one at that number?. If it is a tele-marketer (or someone else you don't want to hear from), a "no answer" scenario is more likely to cause them to "move on" to someone else.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in responding.

leejor, I think you're correct. To have it not ring is probably better. The issue that I am having is that to test I entered my phone number in the "Blacklist" node of the 3C console "Settings" node and it seems to have no effect as I am still able to ring through. Is there a format I must follow? I simply entered my 9 digit number with area code and left out parentheses, dots, hyphens and spaces and I was still able to call in. Have I done this improperly?

Thanks for your input as well, eagle2. Sorry I didn't know what I was asking for.

It should work as long as the number send as caller ID matches exactly the entry in the blacklist table. Some phone companies will prefix numbers so that they can be dialled as received. As an example, in North America, some phone companies will add a "1" at the beginning, if that is required, to call the number back.

That was it. There was a prefix character added that I hadn't considered and the caller ID that displayed on the phone was slightly different that the one that showed up in the call log. I changed it to match the number that showed up in the call log and added the prefix character and it all works as it should now.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.