• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

BLF provisioning of multicast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giwm

Forum User
Reaction score
Multicast paging is great. However, through 3CX it has the following drawbacks:
  • A "ring group" extension set up as multicast paging sends that multicast page from the 3CX server itself. So an off-campus, VPN-connected site is going to bounce all multicasting through the VPN.
  • You can accidently transfer to a Ring Group extension, even if set up as multicast paging. So that disgruntled caller is now talking over every phone on the multicast group.
  • You can't prevent an incoming call from dialing a Ring Group - even if it's multicast or paging.
Right now, the best option I've found is to set up Multicast Paging completely outside of 3CX, as the above drawbacks are so significant. My Yealink phones will not let me to accidently transfer a call to a DSS set up for Multicast. This means I have to set up the DSS for multicast within the provisioning file.

I know that's a lot, so the questions are:
  1. Am I wrong about any of the above three drawbacks and there is a way?
  2. Is there a way through 3CX under the BLF tab in an extension to provision a DSS for multicast?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCTECHZONE
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.