• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Blinking Light for missed calls on Yealink T46G

Paul Omans

Reaction score
I use Yealink T46G phones with all of my 20+ clients, well over 300 phones in total. With the newest firmware and template update from 3CX, it defaults to having the red notification LED blink when there is a missed call. I have heard from 16 tenants now that every single one of them strongly dislikes this feature and I have had to manually change it on every one of the provisioning templates. Please revert the default functionality back to only blinking the LED when there is a new voicemail message.

Upvote 6
I use Yealink T46G phones with all of my 20+ clients, well over 300 phones in total. With the newest firmware and template update from 3CX, it defaults to having the red notification LED blink when there is a missed call. I have heard from 16 tenants now that every single one of them strongly dislikes this feature and I have had to manually change it on every one of the provisioning templates. Please revert the default functionality back to only blinking the LED when there is a new voicemail message.
I am having the same complaint, what setting is it that you changed to stop this? We are trying to achieve the same only on VMail blink. Thanks
Neil

I am having the same complaint, what setting is it that you changed to stop this? We are trying to achieve the same only on VMail blink. Thanks
Neil
In the latest yealinkT4x.ph.xml file, the settings for VM and Missed Call LED flash are on lines 1808 to 1813:

#This feature enables or disables the power indicator LED to flash
#when the IP phone receives a voice mail or a text message
phone_setting.mail_power_led_flash_enable = 1

##v81 NEW##
phone_setting.missed_call_power_led_flash.enable=

Reactions: full2
Just upgrade a client without knowing this. Confusion and complaints coming in.. Appears other setting changes to be in effect as well like screensaver time and display changes.

Reactions: Paul Omans
Just as a hint - Whenever I upgrade a phone template I use WinMerge to see the difference before and after the change.
So you can decide if you want to go for a change or rather keep it as it was.
I strongly recommend this as this will save you from surprises.

This whole template thing could be a lot more comfortable to modify (like a override button on each line that allows own settings or default settings and that would also "survive" template upgrades) but still I'm happy that 3CX does auto provisioning for a huge bunch of phones and that I can adapt to my customer's needs.

It seems that with one of the latest updates to the template file, the missed call notification still causes the red LED to blink, however, the way missed calls are displayed is handled a bit differently by default. Previously, if my phone was part of a ring group, and the ring group received a call, and I did not pick up that call but someone else did, it would still show a missed call on my phone by default. With the latest template update, if someone else picks up the call that is directed to multiple phones in a ring group, no phones will show a missed call. This mostly alleviates the issue of having a blinking LED showing on a missed call, and I appreciate 3CX (or Yealink if that is the case) for making this change.

Am I understanding this correctly, that after I managed to figure out how to change the yealink phone to behave the way the customer wants, that if I have automatic upgrades on, and the 3CX does an update, any settings deemed "default" by 3CX will overwrite all my changes I made (12 hr time format, date format, backlight always on, no friggen blinking light on missed calls, etc...)??????

Also, from the phone, I just changed it so my backlight is always on. Rebooted and backlight settings reverted (off after 30 seconds). Is there a way to have the phones apply their template, but then also have the settings the END USER just changed, remain in tact?

Is there a way to have the phones apply their template, but then also have the settings the END USER just changed, remain in tact?
Technially of course there is but practically there will be some administrative overhead.
Basically you need a "normal" template which will be applied only once during initial provisioning and some form of a custom template with the setting lines removed that the end users should be able to change themselves. With the lines removed they will no longer overwrite the settings on the phone.
On the 3CX side something like "apply only once" could be implemented which will send the checked line only during initial porvisioning but this is something you would need to add as feature request since this functionality is currently not existing.

This settings can be controlled via the GUI now - https://www.3cx.com/docs/ip-phone-configuration/

Have to be using standard template - not a custom one

Yes, but with the standard template we have to change every single extension, one at a time. It's a great feature, but it should have have been the default. After roll-out and complaints, a few clients or users decided to keep it, but most had it turned off.

This also applies to most Yealink models. Not sure about other brands.

Why hasn't 3CX made this a simple setting for this yet? Looks like this thread is a few years old now. Everyone in my office keeps missing voicemails since they ignore the incessant blinking light which is practically always blinking due to missed calls. This is an office. No one cares about missed calls. We care about voice messages. Everyone's phones ring when there's an inbound call, so when one person answers the call, everyone else gets a missed call registry. This is so stupid. My IT guy is telling me he can write a custom script to fix this issue. Why do I need an IT guy to write a script for something that shouldn't even exist in the first place, and at a minimum be an easily programmable setting??

Why hasn't 3CX made this a simple setting for this yet? Looks like this thread is a few years old now. Everyone in my office keeps missing voicemails since they ignore the incessant blinking light which is practically always blinking due to missed calls. This is an office. No one cares about missed calls. We care about voice messages. Everyone's phones ring when there's an inbound call, so when one person answers the call, everyone else gets a missed call registry. This is so stupid. My IT guy is telling me he can write a custom script to fix this issue. Why do I need an IT guy to write a script for something that shouldn't even exist in the first place, and at a minimum be an easily programmable setting??

This thread is only a year old. The issue has been fixed by 3CX in SP2 or SP3 of V15.5, I don't remember which one specifically. Some screenshots to help you out (first make sure you are on the latest 15.5 SP4 version of 3CX with all other updates installed and all phones on the latest 3CX supported firmware version):

First, go to the "Phone Provisioning" tab of the extension (this will have to be done individually for each extension):

upload_2018-5-4_15-48-58.png

Scroll down to "Options", and then find the drop-down menu labeled "Choose how to configure Power LED notifications":

upload_2018-5-4_15-50-58.png

Here you can choose how the notification LED blinks (for missed calls only, voicemail only, or both). This is applicable for Yealink phones but is most likely also applicable for Htek and Snom phones as all three brands (Yealink, Htek, Snom) are highly supported by 3CX.

For your other issue where everyone gets missed call notifications in a ring group even if the call has been answered, please see this thread: https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/missed-call-alert-for-ring-group.52392/

In short, this issue seems to have been fixed post-SP1. If you have updated to the latest SP4 version and your ring group is set to "Ring All" (and not "Prioritized Hunt") and this issue is still occurring, please post your issue in a new thread and someone should be able to help. If you have purchased a license key from 3CX and you have active support, you can also reach out to 3CX directly by going to customer.3cx.com, logging in with your account ID and password, and going to the "Support" section and opening a new support ticket.

Reactions: Josh Seng
Thanks Paul! I just realized I mistook the "joined date" of people who posted on this thread and thought it was the post date. I'll check out your suggestions and see if they help. Much appreciated.

Considering 89.5% of people say the light should not flash on missed calls, it would be really nice if that was the default...but the default is still to flash on missed calls in SP6

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.