Block International Dialing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by stevodevo, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevodevo

Hi,

How can I block the ability to call internationally from all phones (except for a group of selected phones)?

Steve

2. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

Hi,
    There are two ways that I have used to achieve this:-

1. Create a "dummy" outbound connection - such as a PSTN gateway that you do not have. Then create an outbound rule and send it to the dummy gateway. The user will then not be able to make outbound calls
    2. You might want the 3CX to say that the number is not available. Using outbound rules it is a little more complicated. You enable your national numbers in the dial plan, and local numbers but do not provide a rule for International. For example, for UK if you used 9 for outbound calls, 91 to 99 local, 901 to 909 national, but no 900. 3CX will have no way to route the international call and say that it is unavailable.

I hope that helps
    Richard Crabb

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The outbound rules are the best way, and can be made to apply to certain extensions. You don't say which country you are in and what access digits are used for local, national and international calls.

4. stevodevo

I'm in Australia - you dial 0011 + country code to dial internationally and local numbers are either (0x) area code for land lines or (04xx) for mobiles.

5. TotallyVoIP

I used the method explained here to great use, it was easy to implement and allows a message to educate users, rahter than having them phone someone saying there is a problem. It works in V9 fine.
    We send the calls to an dummy extension where they is an ability to enable voicemail feedback (ie requests to enable internaional or premium rate numbers) by leaving a message like this "your extension is barred from making calls to this destination, if you think this restriction is incorrect please leave a message with your extension number, the number you tried to call and your name and reason for needing access and an administrator will investigate this issue, if this is urgent please call Fred on 123".
    We also use a DR to give the user a bried message with no ext's in it and a drop call where no feed back is needed.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/message-for-refused-calls-12371.html#p63980
    I hope this helps, but can explain in more detail if you need it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

I Just wanted to thank you Richard for your input. It works well.

Another method that one can use is to provide a loopback extension. I use it so that the outbound rule itself can choose the extension or ring group to be called. One more step - set up an extension on 3CX and have the internal trunk register to that extension. The downside is that all the digits have to be stripped. That is not always possible. Your solution has the advantage in that it is simple for this purpose. My loopback works well when someone calls the main number from an extension. Rather than routing it outside and back again, you can ensure that the call stays internal.

Richard Crabb

7. TotallyVoIP

Richard, I take your point about external, in that although the call never leaves the Server PC (it routes to 127.0.0.1), it might in fact consume an additional call licence for the 3CX system ?

I need to check that, or in anyone else can answer the question? Off-site right now so can't check the log to see the active calls in the log file!

On the calling your own number, our current Trunk (Voip unlimited) routes all DID's back to you, so if you register all your BT, 3rd party numbers etc with them, then they will route them back to you, and there is no charge as the calls are internal to their network (or so I've been told, need to check the next bill).

But otherwise a rule (a big rule if you have lots of DID's - some clients have 100's for direct advertising) with the numbers listed in full, separated by comas, to route to a separate dummy trunk, with all the numbers set up as DID's for correct internal routing? not clean, it would be better if they could be routed to the Trunk that handles the DID's so you don't need 2 sets of rules to be kept in sync? I'm not sure if you could route the call back to a Trunk. I guess I need to see a wireshark and see if the 3CX is picking off the numbers and keeping them or if they are being rerouted by the Coip trunk we use, never bothered to look and check ...

I'll go do some homework when I'm in the office!

Not sure I follow this part? why do all the digits need to be stripped? (and why can't you just set the digits to strip on the outbound rule to 30 or something beyond any possible number?)

Interested to see alternatives, as I'm sure there will be times when other methods can be better or indeed the only way!

thanks

8. TotallyVoIP

Oh forgot to mention, we do not use a dial prefix for an external line, it was our plan, and I know it is what the corporate world loves, but talking to Godly Guru Kevin of 3CX on the training course last week, he does pose a good arguement for why do it?

And the arguement that "that's the way it has always been done" is not an arguement, it's an excuse!

Thinking logically about it, he's right, it is easier to work without the "9" and keeps things cleaner. I trap 999/911/112 as 3 digit and 4 digit variations (with a 9) to route to emergency services, but the next rule traps "9" prefix and routes to a message saying please dial without the 9, just so users get some feedback, all the normal rules and LCR, barred call destinations etc then follow from there.

When working with cut and paste, highlighted number and other dialing systems, adding a prefix can be a real pain for users, so the no prefix plan is more user friendly and integrates with other technologies without hassle. For international calls we trap +44,0044 before + and 00, so that UK calls don't route via International routes, but work with either a + or 00, to help redials, web-highlighters etc.

I do have prefixes for testing of 4,5,6 to force calls to specific trunks (where only the 1 route is available) so I can test the routes - ie 4 = voip trunk 1, 5 = voip trunk 2, 6 = Patton gateway), but remove these (rather disable them - that's a feature request!) before deployment to end users. This just helps when there are issues and you don't want the call to roll over to the 2nd or 3rd route in the "real" rules.

9. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

Hello RIchard,
    I'm not sure whether it uses another license or not. It has never been a problem though - I guess the numbers of calls are very small that are made this way. I will check the active calls when this type of call happens. I have not used this for lots of DID's as I don't think that it would be practical? Only one or two of the main office numbers. The outbound rules appear to strip up to 9 digits. Therefore if the office number is 254444 then 6 digits can be absorbed easily. However, if it was 01671254444 then those 11 digits will not be absorbed - but then who would dial the full code if they were local? Very few I suggest.

Anyway, your method is foolproof and works well - whereas mine has its limitations, but can be useful.

Kind regards
    Richard Crabb

10. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

Richard, I do the same as you. I found that the prefix got in the way such a lot. Customers who have been used to dialling 9 are happier not to. Especially if they cut and paste to soft phones. I do the same with 999 and 112 etc. Similarly, I have codes to force calls through particular trunks. Again, remove them in case they get in the way. For my office I just leave them!

One other thing that I have done is to designate an analogue emergency line. If someone dials 999 from that phone, the call routes directly over a BT line. If an extension, it goes via 3CX. This is done by an ATA the 3102 that Kevin really does not like. When power fails, or registration fails the phone connects to BT.

Richard

11. TotallyVoIP

I route all emergency calls via BT (patton unit), with 2nd/3rd routes to Voip trunks incase the BT lines are affected (belt and braces, plus it can't hurt!)

the dreaded 3102, I have one on the floor by my feet, It's an A*se to configure, not got it working yet, nearly did, but something went wrong and I had other matters pressing.

I'll try again this weekend, it is for a remote site that has only 1 line, so it needs to work either an an external or VPN based unit, I might install 3CX at that site to test it, as a local port (walk before I can run !!), but it is a total pain to configure and get into. I had to resort to phone commands to do the config. I wish there was something else for similar money that worked out the box (or at least had a GUI that you could log into quickly and easily). An alternatives you know of?

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

They are really not that bad. In fact they have a lot of features that many will never use, but never the less, they are there. If you need some help with yours, let me know.

13. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

I actually agree with Leejor. They are OK once you get to understand them. For instance, I setup a link for an analogue phone line over an Ehternet connection, about 500 metres away from the phone point. The 500metres was catered for by Homeplug. It works perfectly! This saved a farmer a more expensive link using old fashioned poles. (ie analogue to Ethernet to homeplug to Ethernet back to analogue). They are very good for backup.

Once you have the parameters right they work reliably. For instance with BT they are always set the same. If you wanted to use it with an odd PABX then that would be a challenge, unless you knew the spec of the tones, and recall etc. My background is traditional telephony with BT anyway, so it kind of makes sense to me.

Kind regards
    Richard

14. grodinj

GENIUS! My goal was to block hackers and fraudulent calls. I changed every password I could think of, but this is fairly bulletproof. Send all calls starting with 011 (if you are in the USA) to the dummy gateway. Set up another rule for your primary gateway with a PIN that you establish and give out to the users. Strip the PIN on outbound calls. Otherwise, they don't leave the PBX and you won't be billed for fraudulent attempts. Well done Mr. Crabb!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.