Blocking "User Agents" similar to "friendly-scanner"

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mukkacow, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mukkacow

Hello,
    I have noticed multiple scanning/registration attemps from this user agent:

I have added these lines to my iptable file:
    but it seems not working. Any idea how to get rid of them?

Thanks you

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I set the options to get an email when IPs are blacklisted, for a period of time, which had been extended to 500,000 seconds. I then go in later and change the year that the blacklist period lasts, to something like 2030. if you use one particular year it then makes it easier to visually scan the list for any new additions. Once you have a collections of IPs that have tried to hack your system, you can start to see a pattern, repeats, from similar IPs. I then change the subnet mask to cast a "wider net", as needed.

viraltechnology likes this.
  3. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

I can share a list of blacklisted IPs, collected from over 50 cloud-based PBXs. When IP is blacklisted by one or more of the PBXs (usually by several simultaneously), a filter rule is created into cloud router to protect all of the PBXs permanently. If there are 2 or more neighboring addresses, the whole subnet /24 is blocked. See leejor's post above for similar IPs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    jbryant84 likes this.
  4. neotheghost

Oh such a List would be great! Please be so kind and share it with us! Thank you very much!

5. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

These are the addresses including September 2017 attacks:

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    NickD_3CX and jbryant84 like this.
  6. neotheghost

thank you very much!
    is a firewall block the only option to avoid such attacks?
    is't there a an option in 3cx to disable direct sip calls completely? or change something to only allow autorized sip calls to enter the pbx?

7. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You can control direct SIP calls in Settings | Network settings | FQDN.
    Other settings may be controlled into firewall.

8. neotheghost

Yes that's the part i dont fully understand. I disabled "Allow calls from/to external SIP URIs". Still i reviece those calls.

9. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Depending on your router/firewall you may create a rule with white access list for hosts which could access your PBX on port 5060 -- like certain VoIP provider(s) and remote site(s). Otherwise you would not get rid from attacks.

NickD_3CX likes this.
  10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You may very well still see the calls in the logs, they won't go anywhere. Be certain that you use secure passwords. It's the people that had a simple password like "ext100", or "100" for extension 100, leftover from the initial testing, that will be in trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.