Both versions to log to OS log, like Windows version used to

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Silly English Kniggit, Sep 20, 2017.

Both versions to log to OS log, like Windows version used to 5 5 10votes
5/5, 10 votes

1. Silly English Kniggit

I was more than a little surprised to find that the Linux version doesn't write any events to the system log - not even the limited events it logs in Windows. Please at least make this functionally equivalent to Windows. Currently we can monitor all our clients' 3CX on Windows, but not on Linux because 3CX doesn't write the logs.

Ideally I'd like to see both platforms (at least have the option to) log more to system logs / and be easier to monitor with an RMM / monitoring tool. Imagine you're running a fleet of 1000+ 3CX installs, spread across Windows & Linux - and you'll be headed in the right direction. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Donal, Pieter and bravad like this.
  2. Silly English Kniggit

I've just been told by support that the limited logging to Windows system logs has now been removed as of v15.5. I'm speechless!
    BOTH versions need to at the very least log to the system logs in the way that the Windows version used to.
    We NEED trunk and extn de/registrations logged somewhere we can read via a monitoring agent. Ideally we'd have a lot more.
    We (the community) have been asking for more ability to monitor logs and status - and what little logging we had got removed...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Donal, accentlogic and Pieter like this.
  3. V..

V..

This kitty agrees with the stupid englishman, those logs are essential to our in house monitoring tools at my company also!

4. phintec

Yes please, make the systems log as appropriate based on their platform.

Donal and Silly English Kniggit like this.
  5. Silly English Kniggit

I've written a service / daemon that replicates writing to the OS logs as it was on Windows and adds this functionality to Linux.
    This software is owned by my employer so I can't release freely - however if there's enough interest we might consider releasing commercially. If you'd be interested - please PM me with how many 3CX servers you have, and their OS.
    In the meantime - we offer this as part of our proactive 3CX support service. Please PM me for details if you're interested.

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

The feature request is a bit misleading. Actually we have increased the logging in 3CX - just not via the proprietary Windows events log. Its a bit old hat if you ask me -plus not multiplatform. How do you want a linux system to write to a windows event log? But finding ways of more easily collecting logs and supporting something like SNMP is definitely on our roadmap

7. Silly English Kniggit

Systems, such as RMM etc, can read the Windows and Linux logs easily. Nothing reads the 3CX logs, and I had to reverse engineer it myself.

The Windows logs may be proprietary, but they're a very well supported standard - 3CX logs are entirely proprietary and only accessible from the 3CX server directly and only via specific stateful queries against pgsql.

This has effectively removed all programmatic access to the logs for most users. It was there in Windows and it was actively removed. I cannot understand this logic at all. We run a fleet of 3CX boxes for our clients, and rely on our RMM to read the 3CX info from the OS logs.

Logging to a common log system provided by the OS is not old hat in my opinion - it makes perfect sense for events that might require further action in a timely manner. Exposing such events in a common standard system enables other systems and processes to consume those events and act accordingly. Virtually every service ever written on both Windows and Linux uses the common logging system - for exactly this reason.

Of course I don't want the Linux version to write to windows logs. I expect both versions to write to the log system for that platform. I'll update post title to ensure there is no possibility of confusion about this.

Using the common logging provided by the OS would be the most obvious, and easiest, way of doing this. Given your statement, I'm even more confused why this was removed from the Windows version, and why it wasn't written into the Linux version.

We've now put a lot of time into writing our own service to relay the logs from 3CX to the standard logging for the OS, so if 3CX make this change or not doesn't matter much to us. It clearly matters to all those who've voted for it though.

Perhaps if 3CX went forward with the idea for a partner forum, the impact of future changes (such as removing logging) could be discussed with partners before work is put into making changes to the code which results in unhappy partners and angry customers.

DavidAU, Kobberhjelmen and 3CXDude like this.