• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Branch Office configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimpson

Reaction score
I'm considering 3CX - have heard good things from friend using it. But they don't use branch office.

We only have 2 employees, and would consider buying the Small Business Edition for the additional features at our store. I would like to "branch office" link it to my home -- so that I can answer calls and have calls forwarded to me when I'm at home (just like when I'm in the office). I was wondering if I can buy the Small Business Edition and link it to a free edition so that the free edition could be at home. Would that work?

If so, would I be able to use the commercial edition features from the free home phone system box linked to the paid commercial "small business" version at the store?

I was wondering if I could eliminate phone company lines at home, and make/receive phone calls at home as an extension of the store phone system. Can anyone answer these questions for me and tell me if it would work?

Hello ASimpson,
Welcom to the community
all your needs is very easy to 3CX system
you'll need only one server
to use bridge in case of 2 servers you nee paid version in both

I do not understand. Why would I only need one server to handle calls at two separate physical locations?

I have one line but two phones at home, and expect one or two lines plus two extensions at the store. Can you explain how this would work with one server?

With vpn you work at the secon place as you're in the first place
one server enough for your requeres

I'm starting to understand. But, I have a question about 3CX establishes the connection for remote stations...

Does 3CX handle creating the VPN (I saw something about a mini VPN in 3CX) and if so, doe it need a PC to be up and running at the remote office to establish that vpn? (Would that be a software client program running on a pc to link the VPN)? Or can 3CX establish the VPN with an IP phone directly so that the phone is always on the system. [I'm concerned that if a pc is required, it might be turned off and the remote extension might not receive calls]

If an IP phone is all that is needed for the remote location, then I'm assuming I would just have to configure the firewall to pass through the port for the 3CX vpn directly to the IP phone. But if that is the case, does that mean I can only have one phone extension behind that firewall (since I could not pass the port through to another IP address)? If so, that's ok -- I could probably deal with that, but I need to understand how it works to plan it.

Also, would I need any sort of gateway device (other than just my broadband router and the IP phone) at the remote location?

The best way is by vpn router
3CX has a vpn
3CX Voip client can connect vpn to the server using you home pc
Then ip phones use this pc as outbound proxy

The best solution at all: manage your nat to connect the ip phones directly to the server

You can use more than ip phone behind the firewall on 5060 port
Or range 5060-5070

Clarification: You say best way is by vpn router, then you say best way of all is by managing NAT to connect IP phones directly to server.

I think I'd like to connect IP phones directly to the server via nat through the firewall (but I don't know how 3CX operates).. are you saying if I did that I would NOT need an addtional VPN router, but could somehow have 3CX connect over the web to the URL (or static IP) of my home firewall and I could nat specific ports directly to the IP phones?

If YES, then that would not use vpn (would it be secure/private)? If NO, then how do I nat to the phones from 3CX?

Hello Matt,

Very nice explan and compare

I want to add
in vpn mode: you can use direct connect when you need beside the vpn

Thank you all. That is the information I needed.
Very good explaination Matt.

I appreciate the help.

One more quick question... If I wanted to use an analog phone at the home office, what device would you recommend to connect it as an IP phone to the network? Would a gateway device such as Linksys SPA 3102 work for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.