Bring back EPSV for FTP backups

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by matrix3, Nov 30, 2016.

Bring back EPSV for FTP backups 5 5 4votes
5/5, 4 votes

1. matrix3

We have all of our clients configured to do nightly 3CX backups and FTP them to one of our Windows servers. 3CX v11 through 3CX v15 (no service pack) works fine. Once we upgraded 3CX v15 to SP1, FTP backups stopped working. I've tried multiple FTP servers but they all want to do EPSV (Extended Passive FTP) and you can't disable it. Worked with support and they confirmed that EPSV is not there anymore and might be added in a future version. The only backups we can do now is to backup to the local C drive and then run a batch file as a scheduled task to do the FTP transfer. It works, but we don't get an alert if the FTP part failed and it's not as clean. Looking for some up-votes for this to be more of a priority and fixed in a future service pack.
    Thanks!

wilson2 likes this.
  2. David Lee

This is a show-stopper for me. I can backup with FTP, but RESTORE doesn't work.

I believe the point here is that if the 3CX FTP client is only using PASV, it should work. EPSV is a protocol that was first written in an RFC in 1998 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2428). FTP clients issue commands to a server, and the only way EPSV could be the source of the issue is if the client is triggering that command, and then failing to work afterwards. If it were only using PASV commands, there wouldn't be an issue.

I have tested with both Synology FTP as well as PURE-FTPd on cPanel/WHM.

This absolutely MUST work without requiring me to do ANYTHING. Because otherwise I don't sell any more 3CX, period. Yes, it is that important - if I can't backup and restore my client PBX systems (like all the other ones I support, and there are many), then I walk away - it doesn't matter how good the product is.

And blaming the server for the issue? Maybe if it was some sort of new technology / protocol, but not FTP when we're talking about an RFC from 1998.

From Pure-FTPd's 'about' page (and I've tried using the available workarounds - still doesn't work).

Pure-FTPd has one of the most complete implementation of the FTP protocol specifications. It includes the protocol basics, plus modern extensions like MLST/MLSD (extensible and mirror-safe directory listings).

RFC conformance is great, but in the real-life, there are a lot of buggy clients. It’s why Pure-FTPd has also workarounds for some versions of popular Windows clients that totally violates the FTP protocol. Pure-FTPd also works with broken home-made clients that don’t properly terminate lines.

So if your current setup works with another FTP server, you can safely move to Pure-FTPd without breaking anything or receiving customers complaints: things will work as before for them, and the migration will be transparent.

3. supplenta

I have actually reported this to 3CX and it is with their R&D team currently.

I was using FileZilla FTP Server on a machine and it was failing to backup.

Not sure on when it will be fixed, but hopefully soon.

4. wilson2

I agree that this is an absolute must. We back up all of our clients via ftp and we have stopped upgrading to v15 until this is resolved.

5. noord

We are also experiencing this. Backups can be made correctly, but on a new installation I cannot restore it....
    Yes, I can copy it to a local disk temporarily and restore from there, but this should just work. It did always work in v14.

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

We have decided to focus our efforts on supporting online storage services - which is much more modern and reliable. We started with Google Drive (SP5) but we can add others - feel free to make suggestions so we can see what is most popular

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. noord

Thanks for introducing another way to store a backup off-site.

I won't debate with you whether or not Google Drive is 'more modern and reliable' than FTP, you have made your decision :)
    Fortunately, the Synology NASses we use to store all our clients backups, can also sync with Google Drive so we can still have all our client's backups in one location (okay, I have to say it: FTP was more convenient :) )

8. Ed Wheeler

I was just checking to see if anything changed with this...has EPSV (Extended Passive FTP) been configured in any 3CX updates and if not is there any plan/time schedule to?