• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

broadband recommendations for VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

thames

Customer
Intermediate Cert.
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Can anyone offer up a recommendation for the best type of broadband service for 3CX. At the moment I'm using an O2 (Be There) line with around 4.6meg down and 670k up. All seems to work fine but I'm told there is better out there specifically for VOIP. Any recommendations as to provider, type of line, etc.? What would you sell in when you're selling in 3CX?

Cheers
Chris

We can supply a VoIP ADSL Service with upto 2.5MB down and upto 2.5 MB Up and can only be used for voice.

can support 28 Calls using G711 or 64 using G729

also the connections are on a 1:1 contention for best speeds with One-hop to our VoIP Network

Price: £32.99 with £40.00 Set-up Fee

ideally to benefit from this quality of service and get the one-hop feature, you would use our VoIP Service.

PM me if you would like more info.

failing this, i would recommend Virgin Media if in your area.

depending on where you live in the world this is vary, In the states I have had very good results with Comcast cable modem service.

First and foremost, you need to tell us what else will the line be used for, what router do you use, are you using QOS, what is your latency to your SIP trunk peer and lastly, how many concurrent calls and what codec will you use.

If your latency is below 80ms you are doing well
Make sure that you use a QOS capable router to ensure the best use of your upload pipe

Everything else depends on your response but the latency is key

sigma1 said:
First and foremost, you need to tell us what else will the line be used for, what router do you use, are you using QOS, what is your latency to your SIP trunk peer and lastly, how many concurrent calls and what codec will you use.
The router is a Vigor 2820n. QoS is set up so that VOIP gets 75% of the line. I assume by latency you mean the ping time between our router and the provider? If that's the case, then our ping time to OrbTalk.co.uk is 23ms consistently. If this is the wrong measurement, could you let me know where to look for the latency measurement you're looking for?

We would never have more than 4 concurrent calls in this office. The line is a BeThere (O2) line averaging 5 mb/s down and 600k up. The line is only ever used for the 3CX system and nothing else other than the server, the Smartnode gateway (for the FXO lines) and the telephones are connected to it.

I'm afraid I'm still in learning mode and know nothing about the codecs. Any advice there would be appreciated.

All the best
Chris

Hi,
In the UK we use two providers for ADSL/SDSL and SIP trunks for 3CX. These are Spitfire and Voip Unlimited. Spitfire are often able to provide excellent value SDSL (modified) circuits that are dedicated to SIP - supporting upto 15 concurrent calls. Also, can provide ADSL2+ services in areas where BT can only provide ADSL max. This means that you can get QOS and dedicated circuits in many exchange areas that you might not expect to get it. Voip Unlimited also provide a good service, especially at 21CN equiped exchanges. Both companies can provide Ethernet in last mile as well.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards
Richard Crabb

Thanks, Richard - will go have a look at their sites.

All the best
Chris

I would not recommend Spitfire due to customer feedback, the support is a let down. However VoIP Unlimited is ok.

Cheers for that!

It's a pleasure. I beg to differ wiht David regarding Spitfire's support. Once, BT ported a customer's line 4 days too early. Spitfire went to a lot of trouble to ensure that the customer had service within an hour of the problem being reported to them.

Kind regards
Richard

My experience dealing with them on behalf of a customer was that they have staff managing the phones with very little knowledge and simply log all calls and then referred to the support department. However this support department are not contactable by telephone and not customer facing.

The SIP templates they release do not work out of the box and I had to make changes to this and send it to their support department hoping they would update it with 3CX so it can be a simple process of selecting them from the VoIP Provider list and enter username and password and away you go.

Also their call rates are almost the same as a PSTN landline.

I’m probably doing wrong by posting the above on the public forum, given that they are 3CX resellers, but we standby customers and only wish for them to have en enjoyable 3CX experience out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yparker0320
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.