Broadband speed worries

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by CliveMM, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CliveMM

Hi all, I am in the uk and our ADSL broadband is devivered by the old coper wires with quoting a 2Mps download speed, in reality I am getting 1.5Mb/s download and 0.36Mb/s upload. I want to use 3CX with a viop gateway for my small office of 4 people, max 4 calls at one time.

Will my slow broadband speed be prevent the 3CX system providing me with reliable phone systems.

Does the Vip Gateway mitigate the slow broadband speed to some extend (withing the office we have a 10/100Mb/s eithernet system.

Also will it work with a standard Netgear router or do I need to buy a special one?

Finally, if I am not asking too may questions how much will a uk Viop gateway for the UK cost and is there a recomended one.

Thanks in addvance for any support offerd.

Regards

2. Ads

Ads

Hi CliveMM,

A single VoIP conversation takes up apprx. 100Kbs (G711 codec) in both directions and so with your quoted upstream performance 3 simultaneous calls
    is all you'll theoretically achieve, in reality 1-2 calls is all I would expect even under off peak conditions. Firstly I would try to see if you can
    optimise your ADSL performance by isolating internal BT extension wiring and possibly trying an i-plate etc. you might be able to slightly
    improve your upstream performance. Alternatively the ADSL2+ services that are coming online 'may' help with upstream bandwidth - I couldn't promise.

A VoIP gateway wont mitigate slow WAN performance (except for extension to extension calls)

I use Netgear Routers (DG834G) with the appropriate 3CX port forwarding rules, also STUN built into 3CX helps with NAT traversal of Routers.

I personally use Voiptalk.org for my SIP trunks although they are not on the 3CX preferred provider list - I've looked at Sipgate and they do a free
    geographic number and you just have to pay for outgoing calls. You'll have to decided if you want a DID range.

Worth a try in my opinion, the basic version of 3CX is free, you only pay for outgoing calls with a basic SIP trunk, you can test the system with
    free software SIP phones and 3CX can install on a desktop OS - hours of fun!

Hope this helps,
    Ads.

3. discovery1

discovery1 Member

Another option we also suggest to customers is a separate ADSL connection which is just for VOIP - all depends on your budget.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.