Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

BT Problems

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by atomicwaste12, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomicwaste12

I have been using BT with 3CX for over a year. Initially I had problems with getting BT and 3CX to even look at each other but one night after many hours of frustration, voila as if by magic it all worked.

I have moved out of my old premises and have moved into a better location and moved all my gear with me.

A new BT line was installed last week and though we had problems with the broadband, I was able to get in coming calls fpr which I use sipgate.

The BT connection on the other hand pretends to be elsewhere it won't even log on the server activity log. There is not even an attempt at try to log onto the BT server.

Of course I called BT but they assure me that all my paswords etc as the same and nothing has changed in the move except of course the physical BT line but I have been told that I am even nearer to the exchange and after the usual 10 days of flucatuating my broadband will be even faster. Howevr, that is not the issue at this stage, why won't 3CX not bother to try to log onto the BT voip server unless my settings need to change.

BTW I have upgraded from v9 to v10 3CX and managed to import my settings. again the incoming line is fab but outgoing BT side is crap... please help me

settings used are:

sip server: bmnhb-03.bt.com
    sip server port: 5060
    Outbound proxy: http://www.bbvservice-560345.bt.com
    outbound proxy port: 5060

external number: 056034xxxx
    Authentication ID: 056034xxxx
    auth' password xxxxxxxxxxx

but nothing........................ not even a twitch from 3CX...

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I have to make some assumptions here because you don't really explain the service you are using for us non-UK residents. (to me BT is a land line and ISP provider). Prom the info you have provided, it looks as if you are using a VoIP service from them.

The first thing you should be doing is reviewing the 3CX log, in verbose setting. that should give you an idea of what is not working properly (registration?).

If this is using VoIP, and you are receiving calls, then registration would appear to be happening, correctly. The outbound calls issue may have something to do with your outbound rules and the digits you are sending.

Please post the log of an outbound call attempt (you can X out some of the phone numbers digits).

3. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Are you using BT Talk or a ATA adapter to standard BT Line.

4. atomicwaste12

BT provides a total package for me.

I am a business customer and I have the following services:

line rental
    Calls (fax)
    Broadband
    VOIP

These are all proivided by the business arm of BT.

However BT do not really like pbx systems such the excellent 3CX.

I have looked at the server activity log and there is absolutely no mention of the system even bothering to look for BT.

My phones are Grandstream GXP-1200 with latest firmware installed.

The incoming calls are NOT handled by BT but by Sipgate. They provided a free regional number before I had gone with BT and have stuck to that for all incoming calls and is also portable, ie goes where I go.

Sipgate and another service called freecall all log on and register with no problem.

I am having another problem, since I upgraded to v10 of the 3CX, the computer keeps failing ie crashing, I do not get a blue screen but my mouse cursor stops and won't move and I cannot log in via logmein either... any thoughts on this first.

My machine is a pentium 4 running xp, with avast anti virus etc...

Please help, now I cannot even call into my office!!

Thanks

5. atomicwaste12

Hi 3CX is working but not sure of the machine's or the softwares stability, could it have been caused by a dodgy keyboard? have chnaged it and is a bit happier...

Actually before I blame BT I think it is the phones themselves not connecting for outgoing calls, is that possible?

I called out using the phone, I get a dial tone but then nothing, just dead, I tried ith with the BT rule (9) and also with freecall rule (0044)... nothing at all... no log no activity

what is going on?

6. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

My first suggestion would be re-install the old version and using a backup get the system running again.

As concerns an upgrade I would suggest you look to get a new server of some type. If your machine is locking up is it clearly not a suitable platform for a mission critical PBX. You would appear to be a low volume user so you don't need anything fancy, or even new, I have successfully set up PBX's on secondhand Dell PC's running windows XP. In fact at times this can be a perfect solution as they are so cheap you can afford to keep a spare PC for a backup. The important issue is that the operating system is a clean install, up to date with security patches and running well in its own right. I generally run the server /pc for a few days before I start installing extra servers to assure myself I can rely on it.

As far as antivirus is concerned I generally use Microsoft's own product. If the server is behind a good firewall and not doing anything else its generally quite safe. I also rely on a hardware firewall and leave the server / pc firewall off. Apart from updates from Microsoft the server should only be communicating with the outside word over the SIP ports you have forwarded. The risk of infection should far less than a workstation that is connected to all sorts of servers and files.

As regards BT Business VoiP I assume that its works in similar way to BT Talk, the residential version. Having tried to setup BT Talk on both V9 and V10 I can tell you I could not get it working at all. I did come up with a solution using third party software to provide an uplink between BT and 3CX. When setup directly with 3cx nearly all calls failed and the line kept going unregistered. If you want details of the solution I used let me know.

But as I said originally most import to solving your problem, a good clean install of an operating system and 3CX on reliable hardware, without that, the job will be just disaster after disaster.

7. atomicwaste12

The machine is now very stable the keyboard was the problem and only has 3CX as the main component. However I think you are right for me to make a new install of xp and rebuild the pbx server.

However, the main problem I have is that my handset are showing as registered but there is no 3CX server activity of any attempt by the phone to connect and make an outgoing call...

How can I check for that

8. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Would I be correct in assuming that internal to internal calls are OK? If so, then the 3CX system is indeed working and the issue is the configuration of the interface to BT. You also indicated that the other inbound calls from the other SIP providers were working, so this also indicates that the problem is centered around the difficulty with BT. I assume that you have estabslished BT as a VoIP provider in 3CX. You indicated that they are providing several services to include VoIP, so this implies to me that you are not using an analog gateway (FXO) for this aspect of being able to make outbound calls. So, assuming that this too is correct, what does 3CX show as a registration status for the BT VoIP trunk?

9. atomicwaste12

Sorry I could not find a way for editing my prev post.

I am getting a 403 forbdidden error on my phones, yet can receive incoming calls and the server shows the 4 phones are registered!!!

In fact 3CX shows all 3 sip providers as being registered.

Howwever, when I make a call there is no log on the server...

In fact I cannot call the other internal extensions from my phones in the office????

Please help

10. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Have you tried putting 3cx phone on a pc and registering that just to check the operation of the PBX

11. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

The other thought I would have is to switch off your antivirus and windows firewall and try a call then.

12. lneblett

As far as the log, check to see if verbose mode is set. If not, then set to verbose and restart the system. This will provide greater detail.

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Did you make any other network changes? Change the IP settings/range at all? It is very odd that the phones, which were working previously, cannot make calls or even show activity in the logs. This sort of behaviour would tend to indicate that they are not "pointed" to the correct SIP server (3CX) IP. If they were you would at least show some sort of failure/reject message in the 3CX logs.

Perhaps you can post one of the "forbidden" messages you are getting.

14. atomicwaste12

I have just checked my router and the firewall pointing to that the 3CX server (called S02) has the following ports open:

TCP & UDP 5060
    TCP & UDP 5090

That is it

I am sure that when I configured the router last year there were a lot more ports that were open but somehow those setting seem to have gone, am I on the right track?

15. atomicwaste12

Leejor

On the handset I get the message 403 forbidden, that is all.

If I call another internal phone I get silence, nothing, and there is no activity on the server!!,

It is on verbose setting and I also carried out a firewall check and it came all OK.

The only thing I chnaged was the 10/100 switch to a linksys EF2134 from my previous setup... surely not the switch?

This is a mystery.

16. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Don't rule out anything....I learned that a long time ago.

If the phones are set up with correct network settings, and the SIP server information is correct, then, other than an internal phone dialplan preventing dialled numbers from being sent, you should be seeing an attempt in the 3CX logs when a call is placed.

What you could do is... eliminate the sets as a problem by using the 3Cx softphone on a laptop, just for some test calls, if that still doesn't work, then, replace the new switch with something else to eliminate it as a problem

17. atomicwaste12

Some progress

The internal phones do connect to each other but take about 90 secs to do so... any ideas how I can get it to ring straightaway?

18. lneblett

When you upgraded your install from v9 to v10, did you also change the provisioning path in the phones? There was a change to the port number and I am guessing that you have the phones still set to the old port number and also set to auto check for configuration changes at boot-up or some other time period. The new port is 5000 and this may explain your 403 forbidden message as that web address is no longer available. This will need to be done manually via the phone's web interface.

19. atomicwaste12

Thank you everyone for your very valuable sugeestions.

I am making progress.

I used another phone in the office and tried to ring out, it did after about 2/3 mins though I tested it on our fax and that just cut out straightaway

My own phone does not even register anymore, the little icon top left corner on the phone screen is not solid yet 3CX says it is registered... wow... when I call the internal phones it connects but says not rgistered

as for the port change can you advise which port are you referring to and which page on the web interface oof 1200 do I need to change, thank you.

20. lneblett

How did you provision the phones initially and what make and model of phones are you using? At some point, you had to provision the phones. This is the process that you go through that essentially gives the phone its identity and personality traits so that it is unique to the extension and knows who and how to talk to the 3CX system.

Assuming that you are using a hard phone - -Cisco, Polycom, Aastra, Yealink, etc. - they all have a web interface that allows you to set the parameters for each phone manually. If you go to the "phones" tab within the 3CX system, you should see a listing of the phones and the extension to which they are associated, but this is provided that they are successfully registered. If not, they will not show as 3CX does know about them.IN any event. at the top of this screen you will see "launch phone interface" and "reprovision phones".

When you assigned the phone to an extension and created the user and password, the 3CX system generated a provisioning file for this phone that is unique and associated to the phone via its MAC address as the IP address could change if the environment is set for DHCP.

You either provisioned the phones manually or you provisioned them using 3CX.

Depending upon how the phones were provisioned, they may need to know where this file is located and through which port on the system the file can be obtained. I say may as some people manually provision the phones and never have a desire to modify the attributes and as a result never populate the field within the phone with the provisioning info. Keep in mind that the 3CX system has one screen that is generic (look at extensions and then the tab "other") for virtually any and all phones. For the most part, this will satisfy many users, but others have a need to customize beyind what this screen accommodates and they instead go and modify the phone provisioning templates directly.

It sounds like when you set up the system it was using V9. V9 used a port that was different than it is today. The change of ports was made with the release of V10 (see below for release notes from 3CX regarding the issue):

The provisioning port has changed to port 5000. This means that you must change the provisioning links for the phones to “http://IPADDRESSSERVER:5000/provisioning”. You can do this via DHCP option 66 or by configuring the phones from their web interface. See the configuration guides for more information. Reboot the phones after you have made this change.

IT sounds like to me that perhaps this step was overlooked and the phones may still be trying to provision themselves by looking at the wrong location (port). Again, it all depends on how the phones were initially configured/provisioned. The phones have attributes that not only define their personality, but how they should operate. One of these operational aspects is how often the phone should check to see if the configuration file has changed and to check it has to access the provisioning file in the 3CX system which can now only be accessed via port 5000.

I am guessing that the phones are still programmed to look at the earlier port that was used in V9. When they boot up or otherwise go to check their respective configurations, they cannot reach the files as this port is no longer valid; hence the 403 forbidden message. This is generally an HTTP error code and why I think it is only showing on the phone display. It willl not show in 3CX as 3CX no longer knows or cares about anything having to do with the old port.

You can check the blog for further info on how to manually access and change/provision your make and model of phone (hopefully, a supported model) and sorry for the lengthy discourse on the matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.