BT Voip Provider

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by webby, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webby

I have added a VOIP Provider (And tried it as Voip Trunk) for BT.

The Port/Trunk Will connect with the following settings

SIP server hostname or IP: btsip.bt.com
    SIP server port: 5060
    Outbound proxy hostname or IP: btsip.bt.com
    Outbound proxy port (default is 5060): 5060

External Number: 01********* My Geographical number
    Authentication ID: 05********* My Voip Number
    Authentication Password ************** Password

Password is NOT the password that BT supply you with it has te be extracted via the following method:
    http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip/2896502-bt-sip-config-setup-c460ip-decom-homehub-kit.html

I have also tried Step "4" as listed on the above link to do with BT not advertising btsip.bt.com

BUT when i try to make a call i get the following error "You cannot make or receive calls on this line....................."
    I have searched all over the web but to no avail - I have also tried connecting using a Grandstream GPX-2000 phone this also was unsuccessful.

I have sopken to BT VOIP support but they will not give out the settings because "it's against company policy" but apparently they are available online if i look! THANKS VERY MUCH aside from this i have the settings......well most of them so something must need to be tweaked.

It's also worth mentioning I am NOT using a BT Hub I have 5060 Port open to my 3CX Computer.
    I did find one post of someone using a BT Hub and 3CX getting connected - either they are doing something different to me or the HUB is what makes the difference.

2. dapatter

I have a similar problem, and i believe the issue is related to bt and what they do in the network or with the homehubs which prevents you from registering to their sip domain. my problem is slightly different. I have snom 320 sitting behind homehub which cannot register properly to my 3cx server. i can setup a proxy to nat.voipfone.co.uk:5065 (i use this for my other services), and it registers fine, but i get an error 'I am sorry, server is...' and i cant make external calls....any ideas on how to get smon to register without need for proxy? i have tried stun but no joy either....think bt homehub blocks / nats in a weird way because of their sip agent.

3. StaffKB

This is not a 3cx related issue. This is a BT issue.

Since BT is not a supported Voip provider there is not much we can do.

However, Is it showing up as registered on the 3CX management console?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dapatter

Intermittently it shows up as registered, but no dial tone, and cannot make calls. I have this problem with other providers too when sitting behind the bt home hub. Any ideas on that? seems like sip registration is been intercepted by the homehub?

5. mfm

mfm Active Member

I dont have much experience with BT home hub, but although this may be a bit over troubleshooting this issue what I would recommend you try if you want to use this HUB is.

Simpler method would be to check traffic being send trough from the BT home HUB and 3CX. See what error messages you receive. Also paste attach a picture of the graph of a call.

Plug a Computer with 2 network cards and bridge the connection between the HUB and the internet or modem if possible, start a wireshark capture and another capture on the PBX. This way you can understand what the PBX is sending, what the BT router is sending out and letting in.

This will allow you to answer your own question and also maybe the users on this forum might have an idea to a workaround.

Sorry I cant help more but I have no experience with such devices. :roll:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. dapatter

ok sure makes sense...just need to find the time and will post...i know there is some problems with BT homhubs not just on this forum but other voip service providers....

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Had a quick look at the BT Home Hub online. Does it contain a modem as well? It's hard to tell from what I've found as to whether you just plug it into the phone line or you plug it into a modem. Does it provide BT VoIP service to the cordless handset and other wired handsets in the home?

8. dapatter

yes it is has a modem, and yes it provides voip to the handset as well as pstn. it also has a pstn outlet on the back. so i believe the issue is that it intercepts sip registration requests. if you google bt homehub and sip phone you can see how to configure a voip phone to login into the bt voip network, there are some issues about dns and the servers which might be why phones cannot register with other voip servers which are not the bt ones. likewise see my earlier post where i was using a nat proxy from voipfone, which seems to get the phones to register ok, but has issues because the dialtone disappears (so not fully registered properly.

9. webby

I had exactly the same problem!

I spoke to many people, it is possible.........but i never got it to work plus BT will not support you in any way and if you have call problems they can tell your not usign their crappy home hub and will instruct you to try that firts.

So i binned their VOIP and currently use http://www.voip-unlimited.net/

It's £10.99 per month for Unlimited lines (obviously the limit is yout broadband capacity) i have found them to be excellent, but you will need to take their Broadband package this will include data and voice direct to their exchange. I tried using it over BT internet and it works but too many random disconnects for a business line. (This is due to the voice begin routed over the general internet)

Voip Unlimited have several packages for Voice and Data or a Voice only package personally we use 3 phone lines and Have the top package of £45 per month for broadband and data.

Hope this helps................just get rid of BT

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, most ISP's that provide customers with a box that contains a modem/router/ATA don't expect (or want) you to subscribe to another VoIP offering, so the box isn't made to be used that way.

Can you not use a stand alone ADSL modem and supply your own router? I know that a few years back I set up a modem, for a friend, with an RJ45 to replace a USB modem that had been supplied by AOL in England. We managed to get it working so that he could add any wireless router at a later date.

11. dapatter

unfortunately i am in the middle of nowhere and only BT provides decent speeds...I have the homehub 2.0, the black one....

12. mfm

mfm Active Member

If you just google it, you will quickly find http://www.bt.com/

If you do manage to get another VOIP provider working using the HUB it would a good resource to others if you could share it with others on the forums

13. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Here's a blunt question, why are you using Version 5?

14. dapatter

I also set this up and got it registered fine. The main thing is to make the false hosts entry. However, I cannot make calls. I believe BT has gotten wise to people hacking their SIP setup and has done something else.....or because you are not using a BT Homehub to register the BT Broadband Talk Service, it is disabled at the server side, thus cant make outbound calls.

15. dapatter

got this working, just drop the @btsip.bt.com from the authentication / username...

16. mfm

mfm Active Member

HI,

Thank you for your update, it will surely help users in the future who is looking to setup BT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.