Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Bug with TAPI phone numbers containing spaces?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by coatline, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coatline

Bug: phone numbers formatted with spaces in them (as is frequently the case when initiating a call from Outlook) seem to be passed along to the server with the spaces present, which causes the call to fail. I assume that the 3CX server dislikes spaces in the called number field.

Either the VOIP softphone needs to strip space characters, or the server needs to be changed to ignore space characters?

It would be a pain to go through thousands of phone numbers in our Outlook public folders to edit out all spaces which are preset in the phone numbers. People leave the spaces in the phone numbers in order to ease the process of dialing manually from a number displayed on sceen.

2. Resolve

Agreed.....

We're starting to use TAPI from Outlook in anger now. It's really important to a prospective customer. Any suggestions as to how to catch, filter/remove would be very welcome...

Tim Winstanley
    Resolve Information Technology

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. darrellchapman

Is this in the buglist for the next version of the 3CX client? I really hope so. This was the option that basically convinced my boss that 3CX was the way to go (and it's not even working).

Darrell Chapman

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jared.Savage

Also need to have the phone strip out dashes and brackets so that a copy pasted number reading like this: (555) 555-5555 will go through. :p

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback. We will address this in the next build.

6. polyphemos

Just an additional observation which might be relevant when addressing this problem.

Typically, what happens with spaces is that they are simply included in the string sent by the client to the server, and on from there to gateway or VoIP operator. Log then reports something like:

Call to sip:0477%20400%2036@sip.ourprovider.com:5060 has failed; Cause: 403 Call cannot be served here

But there's also a variant where the number is truncated at a space, generating this error message:

No known route to target: <sip:47740160@192.168.0.2:5060>

The number in this case was sent by Outlook as +46 47740160. The space character in this case is probably not ASCII32, but something different. I could confirm that the space is added automatically by Outlook when I type in a number with a country code formatted with the + prefix. (And of course this space is impossible to delete manually, in wellknown Microsoft fashion.)

An Outlook problem really, rather than a 3CX one. But will have to be solved in order for international numbers to be handled correctly. Perhaps not all that difficult if it can be done by a positive list of allowed characters in strings (0-9 and the plus sign, nothing else).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.