• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

bulk changing of phones webinterface password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank D

Reaction score
Hi,

for easier administration, we want to change the password of most of our deskphones to one common password.
This way admins can login into deskphones at people desks without the need to loging into the 3cx web-interace ot look for the password. And we could log into rogue phones which are for some reason not connected to any extension and have a look at the phone (who does it belong to?)

Any convenient way to do this? Multiselecting extensions to edit the password, doesn t work. We could just edit the provisioning file and hardcode the password in the file, but this would break CTI and maybe some other things.

Maybe we have to wait till we figured out some responsiveness issue we have with ISS, at the moment changing all the 400 extensions manually would take to long.

Best regards Frank

I think this will work but try for yourself after a full backup:

Export all the extensions, pull the .csv file into Excel, change the field containing the extension, export out as a .csv file and import into 3CX.

uptime1 said:
I think this will work but try for yourself after a full backup:

Export all the extensions, pull the .csv file into Excel, change the field containing the extension, export out as a .csv file and import into 3CX.

Yes, nice idea. I thought about this. I am a little afraid I would have to reassgin phones to extensions. And not easy to test in an working environment with multiple shifts ( not many hours, where nobody needs the phones). What happens with call history and permissions and group membership if you delete an extension? Maybe importing wirhout deleting just overwrites some values and preserves others. This could work.
Maybe I try it with just a couple extensions first.

I think it needs an *idea* post. It's annoying for a system admin to have to go look up passwords for extensions. Like any *windows* admin, there should be an administrator level password that works on everything.

The link from the admin console to log into the phone web interface SHOULD populate the username and password fields. My 2 cents.

Allen

@12495 @cfive
Both populating the password field as well as having an admin level access would be very nice.
Both would be better than setting the same web-access password for all phones as this is written in plain text in the provisioning file for 3cx phone.
I added 12495 idea: populate-he-username-and-password-o-sip-phone-44629.html

I guess a second admin level access could already bet set up with Yealink phones ( I don't know about other phones), as you can set three different permissions levels (usr, admin, var) and can edit the permission matrix. As the admin level password is set by 3cx you could "abuse" the var-level access. But it is always a little tricky to use features the way, they are not intended. It would be a better, if Yealink supported a second admin-identity, which can be set in the provisioning file without the need to create the permission matrix. Editing the permission matrix would be quite maintenance intensive, as it would have to be adapted to each firmware change.

Any other phones that already support to different admin identities? Always easier to convince a manufacturer to support a feature a competitor already has implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leo13215464
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.